help me decide

zombizon

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So I'm looking to buy a new ukulele. I've been playing a makala soprano for a little while now and I'm looking for an upgrade.

Right now I'm looking at either the Kala solid mahogony soprano or the kala mango soprano.

I really like the way the mango looks and I've heard some good things, but I know that it's not a solid top uke, which is what I was originally looking to get in my second uke.

So I turn to the kind folks here at UU. What do you guys think?

If you have them available to you in person, pick the one you like the sound of the best and that plays the best for you.

If you're having to order them sight-unseen, then I think your best bet is to go with the solid wood.

Where are you in Sac? You may wanna check out Skips in EG for starters. You can also check out Nicholson's in Folsom located @ 636 E Bidwell.

I have played them both with Aquilla strings and they both play well and sound good. Until I was told the Mango wasn't solid I didn't know, played it against a Pono and the Pono sounded better but I thought is just the grain of the wood, as the 2 Pono Mangos sounded different.

If your goin for looks Mango it is.

You can always get that solid Mahogany at a later date.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice folks. After doing some reading around online I'm going to go for the solid mahogony. Now there's just the waiting... :(

Top Bottom