Make a wish; count to three...

Ukejenny

Reaction score
The Tiny Tenor thread got me to thinking. I would love to have a concert scale ukulele with a big body, like that of tenor. Is this out there already and how much do you think the sound would be improved by the bigger body?

The concert scale is perfect for my hands/fingers and I'm wanting to get a big, big sound out of that scale and not have to move up to the tenor. Possible?

I'm guessing that it's the scale length, and not actually the body size, that makes a tenor sound like a tenor. I love the tenor sound (more volume, more sustain) but my stubby little hands can't handle the larger fretboard. I've found a good compromise is the Kamaka Ohta-san, which has a slightly longer scale length between concert and tenor and a fuller body - I get the sustain and volume that I want. It's kind of surprising that there aren't more options like the Ohta-san out there.

Boat Paddle Ukuleles ML-Style concert is a concert scale on a tenor body: http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/instruments.php

I wanted the same thing, so have a 5-string ML concert on order.

The Tiny Tenor thread got me to thinking. I would love to have a concert scale ukulele with a big body, like that of tenor. Is this out there already and how much do you think the sound would be improved by the bigger body?

The concert scale is perfect for my hands/fingers and I'm wanting to get a big, big sound out of that scale and not have to move up to the tenor. Possible?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that it's the scale length, and not actually the body size, that makes a tenor sound like a tenor. I love the tenor sound (more volume, more sustain) but my stubby little hands can't handle the larger fretboard. I've found a good compromise is the Kamaka Ohta-san, which has a slightly longer scale length between concert and tenor and a fuller body - I get the sustain and volume that I want. It's kind of surprising that there aren't more options like the Ohta-san out there.

Actually, it's the body size that's going to contribute the most to a fuller sound. If I built such an instrument I'd put tenor strings on it to drive the bigger body.
Put a capo on the second fret of a tenor and you'll have the uke you want.

Last edited:
Actually, it's the body size that's going to contribute the most to a fuller sound. If I built such an instrument I'd put tenor strings on it to drive the bigger body.
Put a capo on the second fret of a tenor and you'll have the uke you want.

Ha, interesting concept re: the capo. I've actually already got the uke I want with the Ohta-San - it does the job and does it well. The thing I like about tenors is more the sustain than the volume - I play high up the neck quite a lot, often play campanella style, and have really fallen out of love with the plinky sound up the neck of smaller ukes. I want my strings to ring out as long as possible! Next string change I'll probably put tenors on the Ohta-San just for kicks.

Next string change I'll probably put tenors on the Ohta-San just for kicks.

Was your Ohta-San built for concert or tenor strings? If it was built very lightly the tenor strings may do damage to it especially if they are hard or high tension strings. I think you'll be all tight but I'm not familiar with the model.

Was your Ohta-San built for concert or tenor strings? If it was built very lightly the tenor strings may do damage to it especially if they are hard or high tension strings. I think you'll be all tight but I'm not familiar with the model.

It's actually been hard to get a straight answer on this - Kamaka pushes their brand of strings (which I can't stand) and that is all they will recommend. I've used tenor strings on my Kamaka concert ukes for a long time now with no issues (and concert strings on my Kamaka sopranos, for that matter); the Ohta-San has a tie bridge so I'm guessing if anything, it will even be less risky than on my slot-bridge concert uke.

It's actually been hard to get a straight answer on this - Kamaka pushes their brand of strings (which I can't stand) and that is all they will recommend. I've used tenor strings on my Kamaka concert ukes for a long time now with no issues (and concert strings on my Kamaka sopranos, for that matter); the Ohta-San has a tie bridge so I'm guessing if anything, it will even be less risky than on my slot-bridge concert uke.

The concern is not about damage to the bridge but with deformation of the top. Whether it's slot, tie bridge or through bridge, it doesn't matter. I have an early 70s Kamaka soprano where the top is so thin the dip between the bridge and the sound hole could hold a half pint of guacamole. It sounds great but I would never put heavier gauge strings on it. This may have been a concern primarily on the earlier Kamakas as I know that they tended to be somewhat inconsistent.

The concern is not about damage to the bridge but with deformation of the top. Whether it's slot, tie bridge or through bridge, it doesn't matter. I have an early 70s Kamaka soprano where the top is so thin the dip between the bridge and the sound hole could hold a half pint of guacamole. It sounds great but I would never put heavier gauge strings on it. This may have been a concern primarily on the earlier Kamakas as I know that they tended to be somewhat inconsistent.

Thanks, I actually hadn't thought of that - but from what I've heard I do think it may be more of an issue on the older instruments than the recent ones. I'm not all that motivated to try out this experiment since it sounds so perfect as it is, but if the day comes when I have to indulge my curiosity, I'll keep a close watch on the top!

I have an early 70s Kamaka soprano where the top is so thin the dip between the bridge and the sound hole could hold a half pint of guacamole.

That must be quite a centerpiece at your cinco de mayo celebration buffet.

Check out the Kamoa Grand Concert at Mim's (red) or Uke Republic (red or brown) spruce & maple. It has a dreadnaught body shape. I would really love to hear it, as I think concert has the best uke sound, even though I am more comfortable with the tenor scale.

FLUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wood fretboard and Low G strung with La Bella strings. It's really beautiful.

The new Blackbird Clara has the 15 inch concert scale and sounds like a tenor, so says Corey at HMS. Plus, it's indestructible.
Virtually the same specs for a Sonny D concert and the Ohta-san Kamaka.
Also known as "Ohta-san," this bell-shaped ukulele was designed by Sam Kamaka Jr. and Herbert Ohta in 1965. It produces sharp, clear tones, and was designed primarily for picking purposes. Deluxe features are rosewood binding, rope purfling, and a rope rosette around the sound hole. The fingerboard and bridge are ebony.
*May request Spruce or Cedar top instead of Koa

* Overall length: 24-3/4"
* Scale length: 15-15/16"
* Total # frets: 18
* Frets to the body: 14

Originally Posted by janeray1940, "I've found a good compromise is the Kamaka Ohta-san, which has a slightly longer scale length between concert and tenor and a fuller body - I get the sustain and volume that I want. It's kind of surprising that there aren't more options like the Ohta-san out there." :agree:
This is the ideal size for the ukulele and I also am surprised it isn't more widely available. I'm nominating myself to be number one on Chuck's waiting list for a ukulele of these dimensions. After all, this thread is entitled "Make a Wish".

Last edited:
:agree:
This is the ideal size for the ukulele and I also am surprised it isn't more widely available. I'm nominating myself to be number one on Chuck's waiting list for a ukulele of these dimensions. After all, this thread is entitled "Make a Wish".

Sounds like a plan!!! I'll volunteer to be #2 on that waiting list.

I'd like one of those Blackbirds, though. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
...it's the scale length, and not actually the body size, that makes a tenor sound like a tenor. ....
Nope.

It's a combination of things: body size and cavity volume, string tension, topwood area, and soundhole size. Plus of course the saddle material, string type, finish, bracing and age of the wood. And maybe the phase of the moon when it was built....

But mostly it's the body and cavity size: more room for the sound to bounce around it, larger space for lower-frequency notes to form. The string tension, too, adds volume and sustain.

Which is to say that putting a tenor body on a concert scale neck would give you some greater depth of sound, but the lower string tension would mean the advantages of the bigger body are mitigated somewhat.

Overall: best bet is to buy a tenor.

Last edited:
I have no idea why...but every time I see the title of this thread in the list I get this mental picture of a big foot from Monty Python's Flying Circus stomping someone...

Okay...that's my mental disability...now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming...something about ukuleles, I think it was...

John

Urrrrrm, yes, John, thank you for that mental image. 'Tis only a flesh wound!!!

I am really looking at the Blackbird Clara. One with a MISI. And maybe try for some Gotoh UPT tuners.

Okay, typing that out made me tingle. I definitely want the concert sized Blackbird.

I've been lusting after a Clara (with a MiSi) since their introduction. I'd have to either be very, very good or very, very bad, to get one.

Top Bottom