Bar Chords

Paige

Reaction score
I need help with them. Whenever I try to play them they sound horrible. How can I make my finger push down all of the strings?

Yeah I know it's spelled barre I've only heard it spoken in the past.

Last edited:
How can I make my finger push down all of the strings?

It's really a practice thing.

Sometimes if you roll your index finger back a wee bit, so that you're pressing more towards the side that's near the thumb it helps. The "inside" of the finger (i.e. the one that presses against your palm) has those two major divots where the joints are and strings sometimes get into them and don't get pressed firmly against the frets. Going towards the thumb side you get all that nice bone into the mojo.

(pedantry alert) It's "barre" chords. (/pedantry alert)

Sorry I've only heard it spoken and thank you I'll try that!

Extra note: Remember I said a "wee" bit. You try to roll back too far and not only does it mess with the other fingers but it's less comfortable. But the tip worked for me when I was learning barre chords on guitar.

Also, no need to apologize. I was being pedantic. And I still don't know why it's barre instead of bar, just that it's the way it's "properly" spelled. Don't lose any sleep over it. :)

do what i do , dont bar anything haha. I just use all fingers and I dont really have any problems switchin between chords quickly. :p I wouldn;t really recommend it though unless your comfortable with it. There was another thread somewhere where they needed to know how to play Bb. Most people would bar that but i just 4 fingers and I have zero problem playing the chord.

Top Bottom