PDA

View Full Version : What is your newest ukulele CD you like?

mm stan
05-05-2014, 01:16 PM
66570These are Mine...oh my gawd, they are wonderful and I love them....Thank you Sarah..:)

Doc_J
05-05-2014, 01:42 PM
My most recent uke album is Corey's Fables. Awesome instrumental music, of any type.

But, Time to add new uke music. I'll have check out Sarah's albums. Thanks Stan.

mm stan
05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
66571 Yes Doc, I like Corey Fujimotos amazing CD too.....I have a few more coming too.. oh my....where is my Eugene Ukulele CD, I hope he has a current new one.. :)

BillM
05-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I'll second Corey's Fables - amazing music. I've picked up some music from others on UU, including Jon Yoon and Kevin Carroll. Lately I'm enjoying instrumental music, including Herb Ohta, Jr's "Pure Ukulele" CD.

mm stan
05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
I've Never Heard of Corey Fables...thank you Doc and Bill....will have to check them out too, He He Only kidding...:)

Dan Uke
05-05-2014, 02:29 PM
I've Never Heard of Corey Fables...thank you Doc and Bill....will have to check them out too...:)

Funnies!! Is that a joke? :p

I've been listening to my Paul Hemmings, Benny Chong, Corey CDs lately. I prefer instrumentals

Kimosabe
05-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Corey Fujimoto's Fables is a beautiful cd. He's not a flashy player. He really enjoys the beauty of textures , mood and melody. His finger work is exquisite. This is not a cd to rock out to. It's a cd to enjoy for its sensitivity, thoughtfulness and feeling. It is the Chopin's Nocturnes of ukulele music.

I do very much like how he used percussion to great effect. It fits really well without overpowering. Corey seems to be a humble, quiet person. I'm an intermediate player who has retired to Hawaii. I ordered a Kala cedar top tenor uke from HMS. As I don't have a car HMS said they would deliver. Corey was the deliverer. I had no idea at the time how great he is or even who he was. As I thoroughly trust HMS and had ordered many times from Music Guy Mike, I didn't feel I had to open the box when Corey met me in his car outside my apartment building that evening. He asked me if I wasn't going to open the box. I said it wasn't necessary. He insisted. I played a few notes. I was very pleased. I wish I had asked him to play a few. A beautiful cd for when you're really ready to sit down and listen. Enjoy. I've listened many times and will continue to for years. I've listened to the Nocturnes now for about 45 years.

UkerDanno
05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
I just got the Jake Shimabukuro "Live in Boulder" DVD, haven't watched it yet AND I just got home from being in Boulder!

FrankB
05-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Until I bought Corey's Fables from iTunes last week, the only "uke" CD's I owned were Sophie Madeleine's. I consider Sophie a singer with a uke, so Corey's CD is the only true ukulele CD I own. I tend to watch performances on YouTube mostly. It's free, and there are lots of good players out there.

Telperion
05-05-2014, 03:48 PM
If you haven't checked out fellow UU member Gaspar's album, here is a link. It's all original material, all played on vintage ukes, and all quite good.

https://gasparpozzi.bandcamp.com/

...and a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOuZ34IhI8w

SailingUke
05-05-2014, 04:24 PM
I have so many CD's picking a favorite is impossible.
Among my favorites are: Every CD done by James Hill, Sarah Maisel, Gerald Ross, Lil Rev, Aaron Keim, Victoria Vox, Heidi Swedburg, Craig Chee.
Whenever I go to a festival I like to buy cds from the ukulele folks.
Last month I bought several Troy Fernandez cds, they have been getting a lot of play time.

hawaii 50
05-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I've Never Heard of Corey Fables...thank you Doc and Bill....will have to check them out too...:)

Haha Stan iwas there when you and your friend took 5 or 6 CDs from Corey....

he is the only Na Hoku award finalist for best Ukulele CD I know.... :)
good luck Corey the awards May 24th....

mm stan
05-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Ha Ha Len, 5-6 CD's......what you smoking in Wahiawa.....:)

Haha Stan iwas there when you and your friend took 5 or 6 CDs from Corey....

he is the only Na Hoku award finalist for best Ukulele CD I know.... :)
good luck Corey the awards May 25....

lambchop
05-06-2014, 06:40 AM
So glad you asked! It's Mike Kassel's "59 Minutes to Midnight," which was just released Saturday. Check it out! (http://mikekasselmusic.bandcamp.com/album/59-minutes-to-midnight)

mm stan
05-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Mahalo Mike...woo hooo thank you for sharing...:)

mrnatchez
05-06-2014, 11:00 AM
I've been grooving on Mike Kassel's "59 Minutes to Midnight." It has a great '70s feel to it with a jazzy, bossa nova, with a little country feel. Mike's original songs are amazing!!! He has a virtuoso performance of Carlos Santana's "Europa" that will knock your socks off. This disc belongs in everyone's collection. The CD was just released. More info is at MikeKasselMusic.com.

Mattyukaholic
05-06-2014, 11:55 AM
For me it's all about Lyle Ritz at the moment. I've been loving that live Jazz record he did with Ohta San. Not very current but there you go! :)

mm stan
05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
What Allen said.

For me it'd be The Old Spice Boys 'Alibi Of Birdland', Lyle Ritz's 'How about Uke' and everything Cliff Edwards ever recorded. Throw in some Lil Rev, Corey Fujimoto, John King and Ukulele Club De Paris and there's about 1/2 of em :)

Wow Allen,
what a list....I guess I gotta catch up with you then...kewl man... @ eugene Ukulele, where is your new CD mate? me thinks it's time for me to get one again... :)

mm stan
05-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Funnies!! Is that a joke? :p

I've been listening to my Paul Hemmings, Benny Chong, Corey CDs lately. I prefer instrumentals

He He Danny ;)
Paul Hemmings.. I thought he was from the beverly hillbillies... who is he? maybe benny would be a good buy... I do prefer some vocals...
I guess I should have broken the question into instrumentals and or vocals and instrumentals..

hawaii 50
05-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Ha Ha Len, 5-6 CD's......what you smoking in Wahiawa.....:)

sorry Stan maybe it was 3 or 4 then...haha

mm stan
05-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Corey Fujimoto's Fables is a beautiful cd. He's not a flashy player. He really enjoys the beauty of textures , mood and melody. His finger work is exquisite. This is not a cd to rock out to. It's a cd to enjoy for its sensitivity, thoughtfulness and feeling. It is the Chopin's Nocturnes of ukulele music.

I do very much like how he used percussion to great effect. It fits really well without overpowering. Corey seems to be a humble, quiet person. I'm an intermediate player who has retired to Hawaii. I ordered a Kala cedar top tenor uke from HMS. As I don't have a car HMS said they would deliver. Corey was the deliverer. I had no idea at the time how great he is or even who he was. As I thoroughly trust HMS and had ordered many times from Music Guy Mike, I didn't feel I had to open the box when Corey met me in his car outside my apartment building that evening. He asked me if I wasn't going to open the box. I said it wasn't necessary. He insisted. I played a few notes. I was very pleased. I wish I had asked him to play a few. A beautiful cd for when you're really ready to sit down and listen. Enjoy. I've listened many times and will continue to for years. I've listened to the Nocturnes now for about 45 years.

Mahalo for your cool story and reply..where do you live and I know Corey lives in waikiki....Yup you missed out on a golden oppertunity...who says you don't have to buy another uke...Hint Hint :)

mm stan
05-06-2014, 01:04 PM
I just got the Jake Shimabukuro "Live in Boulder" DVD, haven't watched it yet AND I just got home from being in Boulder!

Alohha Danno....
Let us know how Jakes Cd turns out....I was thinking of it too...he has so much music, but I do prefer his earlier stuff maybe a hint more for his variety...

mm stan
05-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Until I bought Corey's Fables from iTunes last week, the only "uke" CD's I owned were Sophie Madeleine's. I consider Sophie a singer with a uke, so Corey's CD is the only true ukulele CD I own. I tend to watch performances on YouTube mostly. It's free, and there are lots of good players out there.

Aloha Frankie..
I like female vocals too and some are very soothing...In fact I have Amanda Boisins CD coming....You know Steves Daughter from the Barnkickers....she has an amazing voice
one less tear I like when she first started with.... I will check out Sophie Madeleine on you tube too first thank you, hope it is easy to find ...:) kewl name too she has :)

mm stan
05-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Aloha Telperion,
Mahalo for your suggestion on Gaspars album....I checked him out and love the spanish touch...amazing I never heard of him before..thanks for the link too...:)

PhilUSAFRet
05-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Papa Lemon............ http://www.allmusic.com/song/bourbon-street-parade-mt0048703998

Kimosabe
05-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Mahalo for your cool story and reply..where do you live and I know Corey lives in waikiki....Yup you missed out on a golden oppertunity...who says you don't have to buy another uke...Hint Hint :)

Well, MM Stan, seeing as I do live in Waikiki, and that I still don't have a car and that I soon plan to buy a Pono TE-C from HMS, I'll have to have Corey deliver it and I'll have to ask him up to my apartment to show me how to plug it in, tune it, play scales, chords , and every song on his wonderful album. Interesting that he lives in Waikiki. I like Waikiki very much but have learned to live around the tourist circus. I call Waikiki the tourist reservation. I live at the Diamond Head end which is less built up and close to the escape of Kapiolani Park and Kapahulu Avenue. Obviously Waikiki hasn't done Corey any harm. You can live in Waikiki and go for days forgetting about the parade or parades on Kalakaua or Kuhio. When you want people most of them are smiling.

I was in Pua Pua a number of weeks ago and I heard an older man playing some great jazz on one of the sopranos they keep around for lessons. I believe his last name was Maldonado. He was missing part of a finger like Django or Jerry Garcia. Really tasty jazz playing. FlyMe to the Moon and Tea for Two. I showed him a few things I can do. He invited me to come and play with a group that meets a couple nights a week behind the Duke statue on Kalakaua near the police station. Do you attend?

Enjoying the wonderful city of Chicago at the moment. Chumming it up with my buddy, Frank Lloyd Wright but I'm freezing my butt off. Hawaii's spoiled me. I'm used to cold meaning put a t-shirt on at night if you're going to sleep without the sheet covering you.

mm stan
05-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Papa Lemon............
Mahalo Phil....will check you tube man.. :)

hawaii 50
05-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Well, MM Stan, seeing as I do live in Waikiki, and that I still don't have a car and that I soon plan to buy a Pono TE-C from HMS, I'll have to have Corey deliver it and I'll have to ask him up to my apartment to show me how to plug it in, tune it, play scales, chords , and every song on his wonderful album. Interesting that he lives in Waikiki. I like Waikiki very much but have learned to live around the tourist circus. I call Waikiki the tourist reservation. I live at the Diamond Head end which is less built up and close to the escape of Kapiolani Park and Kapahulu Avenue. Obviously Waikiki hasn't done Corey any harm. You can live in Waikiki and go for days forgetting about the parade or parades on Kalakaua or Kuhio. When you want people most of them are smiling.

I was in Pua Pua a number of weeks ago and I heard an older man playing some great jazz on one of the sopranos they keep around for lessons. I believe his last name was Maldonado. He was missing part of a finger like Django or Jerry Garcia. Really tasty jazz playing. FlyMe to the Moon and Tea for Two. I showed him a few things I can do. He invited me to come and play with a group that meets a couple nights a week behind the Duke statue on Kalakaua near the police station. Do you attend?

Enjoying the wonderful city of Chicago at the moment. Chumming it up with my buddy, Frank Lloyd Wright but I'm freezing my butt off. Hawaii's spoiled me. I'm used to cold meaning put a t-shirt on at night if you're going to sleep without the sheet covering you.

are you hanging with the real Frank Lloyd Wright...how old is he now.....

when you get back to Oahu...maybe we can meet at the HMS store...I live in Wahiawa....but on special occasions i will pickup Stan and go down to the Store in Haleiwa...I know the whole HMS gang...the Ko'olau/Pono guys too...

keep in touch

mm stan
05-06-2014, 04:14 PM

Aloha Kimosabe.... Must be Jim then or James :)
No I do not get out to waikiki much as I have a back disability and it is too painful to sit long....shoots.. Enjoy Chicago and Ask Frank if he get any plans for a bungalow...:) I'm not used to the mainland weather anymore at my age and physical condition....shoots
Happy Strummings....

Hammond
05-06-2014, 08:24 PM
After reading this post, I decided to purchase the Corey's CD album. Thank you for the great suggestions. I like to support by buying CD/DVD albums instead of mp3s or YouTube.

Please bring up more suggestions for pure ukulele music albums.:)

jotto
05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I've been listening to Craig Chee's Life in the Key of Chee and like it a lot. And also Jason Arimoto's Take on the '80s. It's brief but a lot of fun. I'll have to check out Paul Hemmings and Corey's disc. I've seen him play lots on HMS but haven't checked out his album yet.

Peterjens
05-06-2014, 09:40 PM
If you haven't checked out fellow UU member Gaspar's album, here is a link. It's all original material, all played on vintage ukes, and all quite good.

https://gasparpozzi.bandcamp.com/

...and a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOuZ34IhI8w

Oh so good!

KevinV
05-11-2014, 05:09 PM
My latest is Swing Ukulele by Gerald Ross, released in April 2012 according to Amazon. I love this album.

Dan Uke
05-11-2014, 08:05 PM
I just got the Gordon Mark's Nohea CD. What's best about it is there are no other instruments but the uke

kkimura
05-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Just got "Alone in IZ World". Ahi Wela is my favorite.

mm stan
05-12-2014, 03:28 AM
My latest is Swing Ukulele by Gerald Ross, released in April 2012 according to Amazon. I love this album.
I hear Gerald Ross will be at the Michigan Ashocan uke fest with Sarah there too...woo hoo

mm stan
05-12-2014, 03:29 AM
I've been listening to Craig Chee's Life in the Key of Chee and like it a lot. And also Jason Arimoto's Take on the '80s. It's brief but a lot of fun. I'll have to check out Paul Hemmings and Corey's disc. I've seen him play lots on HMS but haven't checked out his album yet.
Oh I did not know Craig had a CD out..he did not mention it to me...sounds good thank you for passing it on...woo hoo yes get Coreys album....really never heard Paul hemmings play too..wow good info man

mm stan
05-12-2014, 03:32 AM
I just got the Gordon Mark's Nohea CD. What's best about it is there are no other instruments but the uke
My friend is one of Gordons top class students...the guy can play never heard of the Cd till now..wow

mm stan
05-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Just got "Alone in IZ World". Ahi Wela is my favorite.
Aloha KK,
I love Ahi Wela...one of my favorites too...and Iz version is nice...I seen a video chris Kamaka playing it too..so cool

kkimura
05-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Aloha KK,
I love Ahi Wela...one of my favorites too...and Iz version is nice...I seen a video chris Kamaka playing it too..so cool

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDWsZlKYx4M&fmt=18

Very nice too

Jon Moody
05-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Mike Kassel graciously gave me a copy of his new CD, 59 Minutes to Midnight, at the Mighty Uke Day this weekend. It's a wonderful album, that I've listened to a number of times already.

sonomajazz
05-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Ralph Shaw..."King of the Ukulele" CD...purchased at DaSilva's where he had a workshop and performance last Tues nite.

Highly recommended!

mm stan
05-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDWsZlKYx4M&fmt=18

Very nice too
Yes that is the one, I think his version is calm and soothing..:)

mm stan
05-12-2014, 04:49 AM
Mike Kassel graciously gave me a copy of his new CD, 59 Minutes to Midnight, at the Mighty Uke Day this weekend. It's a wonderful album, that I've listened to a number of times already.
I wish I knew more about Mike, but i have never seen his CDs for sale or any promos, does he only sell at festivals?..shoots

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
05-12-2014, 04:51 AM
Papa Lemon............

YES! This a wonderful CD. I see that ARHOOLIE has about 4 hours of this artist. I hope that they releases the tapes. For me the music was worth the cost of the CD, but the stories were priceless.

mm stan
05-12-2014, 04:52 AM
Ralph Shaw..."King of the Ukulele" CD...purchased at DaSilva's where he had a workshop and performance last Tues nite.

Highly recommended!
I have one of Ralph shaws first Cd's....very informative... I think I bought it like 4-5 years ago...amazing Cd, Good to go back even when you improve...

Jon Moody
05-12-2014, 05:03 AM
I wish I knew more about Mike, but i have never seen his CDs for sale or any promos, does he only sell at festivals?..shoots

I'm not really sure. I was working the GHS Strings booth, he stopped by and played my reso-uke, we talked and I got a copy of the album. His weblinks are below:

http://www.mikekasselmusic.com
http://mikekasselmusic.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/mikekasselmusic

mm stan
05-12-2014, 05:19 AM
Mahalo OBM...
thank you for the links..Is Mike the Lamb chop guy?

I'm not really sure. I was working the GHS Strings booth, he stopped by and played my reso-uke, we talked and I got a copy of the album. His weblinks are below:

http://www.mikekasselmusic.com
http://mikekasselmusic.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/mikekasselmusic