Anyone use felt picks?

FadaBullet

Reaction score
I found a felt pick in the accessory compartment of the case my Martin uke came in.Actually I like using it but I was wondering if many people use them?

100_3696-1.jpg

Does using felt picks change the sound or is it just a felt pick.....?

I went years without trying a felt pick, simply because there was nowhere ridiculously easy to find them, until I bought my second uke and the retailer threw in a free pick. I find the felt picks have a wonderful sound, but I only use mine occasionally; I've always preferred the versatility of bare fingers, ever since I started on fretted instruments with the guitar.

That said, of all types of plectrums I've experimented with on the uke, the felt pick is by far the most beautiful- and unique-sounding and useful. I find it's great for really fast strumming as well as more gentle, slow strokes and so those are the situations where I sometimes make use of it.

When I bought my first starter uke kit or whatever it came with a felt pick and I tried it a short while but it just felt stupid using it. Obviously a personal preference but I find it to be way easier to just use a finger to strum, get a better feel for the uke too imo.

All of the picks I've used have been felt.

I mean, how can you use a pick if you can't feel it?

:p

JJ

Howlin' Hobbit has a good DIY felt pick. I like to make my own shapes that I feel comfortable playing with. I use them sometimes. I usually play with just fingers and nails. I also sometimes use Alaska Piks too. Mainly for when I want to play loud, but still acoustic. :D

Howlin' Hobbit has a good DIY felt pick. I like to make my own shapes that I feel comfortable playing with. I use them sometimes. I usually play with just fingers and nails. I also sometimes use Alaska Piks too. Mainly for when I want to play loud, but still acoustic. :D

Thanks for the link to the DIY pick! Never tried one, but I'm going to give it a go.

I strarted off with a felt pick then went to rubber then to fingers, tried the corner of a matchbook to, that sounded kind of cool.

Pretty much just use fingers now.

i would like to try one hahah :D

I found a felt pick in the accessory compartment of the case my Martin uke came in.Actually I like using it but I was wondering if many people use them?
Personally: no. I use picks now and then when I'm playing, but I prefer a thin, light and flexible plastic plectrum. I find those felt picks ungainly, awkward and as give as much response and feedback as wearing winter mittens while typing.​

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to add my 2 cents as well...
I am just a beginning uke player and as such my strumming technique has much to be desired plus my particular model of uke (kohala KK-C) is a bit quieter than I'd like when finger strumming (again probably due to my strumming technique... or lack thereof). This lead me to look up the use of picks on ukuleles.
I tried the above suggestion with the self adhesive felt over some thin plastic and discovered it made a pretty stiff pick. It definetely made my uke louder in an almost unappealing way (my opinion of course). It gave the strumming a sort of "click" noise as the pick passed across the strings. I considered using a thinner plastic which would have worked better I am sure. What actually appealed to me more was a more flimsy pick made from the same self adhesive felt without the plastic. It added sound volume (compared with my finger strumming) with less "click" noise as the pick passed over the strings. I also tried using some vinyl pho-leather stuck together with some thin foam backed double sided tape. That worked pretty well also.
I know using a pick has definetely eased some of the beginner frustration that i've experienced. I hope it does the same for others as well.
Happy Ukeing everyone!

I'm a beginner also. However, I remember when I was a little kid with a plastic uke, I had a felt pick. It was a bigger size than the small felt ones commonly sold now. I only recently found the bigger felt pics for sale on ebay and they are for an acoutistic bass. I bought a couple anyway. It was too stiff so I took it to my shop, put it on top of the bench vise, and gave it so whacks with the ball end of a ballpeen hammer. This worked quite well to give it some flexibility. However also on ebay, a seller is selling leather picks. They are a little bigger than the regular small size plastic picks. They are also flexible. Now after I did all of that, I found that I really like the sound that my thumb gives. I don't like the sound that the fingernail makes. Looks like my options are to learn to use a "soft" pick or use my thumb for down and index finger for up. It's hard to explain, but for whatever reason, I just don't like to use a pic. I guess I could get used to it, but I will have to force myself to do it. Does any of this make any sense?

I tried felt picks, but I kind of didn't see the point. My fingers can do every the pick can do, and quite a bit more (yeah, yeah, just let it go). I actually picked up some soft rubber picks from a nearby store, and I like them much better than the felt; they're flexible enough to deal well with nylon strings, but provide enough "oomph" for forceful strumming or single note lines. But, at the end of the day, bare fingers work better for me than anything.

have'nt used a felt pick but i do keep a leather one in my bag just in case i feel like a change

I find a felt pick improves the tone of ukuleles over using fingers or fingernails.

I asked at the local music shop "where can I get felt ?", the guy winked at me and said "hop over the counter"

Top Bottom