Bass Ukulele

If you check the bass section of the forums you'll find several threads about bass ukuleles, including the latest about Kala's entry into the category.

I don't want to be rude but can anyone explain to me why? The coolest setup is to see a duo of soprano ukulele and upright bass. Why reduce that sound to this - I bet it sucks acoustically :eek:

I don't want to be rude but can anyone explain to me why? The coolest setup is to see a duo of soprano ukulele and upright bass. Why reduce that sound to this - I bet it sucks acoustically :eek:

i totally agree. i just dont see the point in a 4 string bass ukulele with enormous nylon strings... especially if it is tuned exactly like a bass guitar. i just dont see the point. but to each their own. i wont poke fun. but just out of curiosity... what deciding factor classifies it as a "bass ukulele" versus a "small scale acoustic bass guitar"???

im not completely sure but i think the strings are made of rubber... not nylon. i dont think that the E would actually be able to move if it was solid nylon.

and as a bassist i completely agree, i think they missed the mark on the point of a bass here. i think the only reason this exists is because someone got bored. its an intresting concept and all but really its just an extremely short scale acoustic bass that you wont be able to hear unless its amped... idk just not a fan...

All I know Pete is that *I* want one. Haha and to me that is all that matters when it comes to purchasing a new instrument. ;)

and as a bassist i completely agree, i think they missed the mark on the point of a bass here. i think the only reason this exists is because someone got bored.
I couldn't disagree more...they identified a niche market that wasn't being served and targeted it. I think it will get a lot of people interested in bass who haven't played before. And who cares if it has to be amplified? Grab a portable battery-powered bass amp and head to the nearest kanikapila.

and as a bassist i completely agree, i think they missed the mark on the point of a bass here.
The point of a bass is its size? I thought the point of the bass was its sound. Can you really give it a fair critique without hearing it?

I haven't heard a bass uke being played yet, but I've heard an Ashbory bass in recordings before, and they sound very nice. It's not the same as a standard electric bass or an upright bass, but it sounds good.

I'll probably buy one. I have played bass guitar off and on for 15 years or so. Last summer, I broke my elbow, and rehab didn't get it back to perfect.

So, the long scale of a bass guitar is a little cumbersome for my jacked up arm. Very uncomfortable to play. I guess it probably would get better though if I played a ton.

Top Bottom