hey!

benditlikematt

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Matt and i would like to introduce myself. I've been playing soccer my whole life and it's a passion of mine, but just recently i've been very interested in learning the ukulele. I've never really had any musical experience, other than playing the clarinet back in the 4th and 5th grade. Anyways i'm a student at UC-Irvine and im looking to pick up my first ukulele. I've heard good things about island bazaar in huntington beach and its nearby so im thinking about checking it out on tuesday after my last midterm (a midterm i should be studying for).

Anyways i just want some advice on which ukulele i should purchase, i'm really interested in lanikais after reading only good things about them. I'm also very adamant on purchasing a soprano for my very first one. Would anyone know if that selection on island bazaars website is the only ones available, or do they carry more in store? Anyways any suggestions or comments would be very appreciated.

Hi Matt and welcome to the boards (from a fellow Matt)!one big thing here is we need to know how much you are willing to spend, there are a great bunch of beginner ukes in very affordable price ranges. if your looking at around $100 dollars there is Ukulele Undergrounds own

Kamoa Soprano http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/product/kamoa-mahogany-soprano

in this range we also have Kala, and Makala ukuleles which are very affordable and very playable.
here is a very great deal from a dealer who is here on our own forum Music Guy Mike,
its a Makala Soprano: http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-SOPRANO-...9094284QQihZ015QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZViewItem

both of these are excellent started ukes.

here is a link to MGM's ebay store, http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics...sopZ3QQsaselZ34517586QQsbrsrtZdQQsofpZ0QQtZkm

Best of luck and be sure to post back with what you purchased!

Definitely looking for something under 100 dollars, I am a poor college student haha. I'm looking at a price range from 50-80 dollars tops.

Amazon has recently started selling Lanikai ukes, which I've heard can pretty good for the price:

LU-11 $40

LU-21 $50

JJ

Island Bazaar has alot more ukulele than their websites. One side of the wall is lined with Ukuleles in various price range. They are very helpful and I'm sure they will guide you thru your 1st purchase.

Buying online will be cheaper but IMO. having someone assist you and you being able to hold and play the ukulele at the store is well worth the extra price. Specially if its your 1st. And if you end up not buying from there, then atleast you will have a better Idea of what you are looking for... Welcome and Good luck:shaka:

hey everyone im back, and after my midterm today i went over to island bazaar to pick up my ukulele. I was disappointed from the selection especially from the sopranos, but the guy who helped me was quite nice. all the sopranos available were way above my price range 100+ so i was about to leave when he showed me the ohana sk-10. With it being only 39 bucks i knew not to expect much and he even told me that the "action" was high and im basically gonna get what i pay for. I figured since it was my first uke and i've never played an instrument and it was economically friendly i went ahead and bought it. I also picked up a crafter tg-200h clip on tuner. Anyways im gonna start jammin on it tonight and i was wondering if anyone has any experiences with this uke, and if it's quality for a beginner like me. Also, any suggestions on what i could do to make it sound better/enhance it. Ok thanks!

Swap the stock strings (GHS, I think) for Aquila Nylgut strings. The sound and volume will improve instantly. :D

hey everyone im back, and after my midterm today i went over to island bazaar to pick up my ukulele. I was disappointed from the selection especially from the sopranos, but the guy who helped me was quite nice. all the sopranos available were way above my price range 100+ so i was about to leave when he showed me the ohana sk-10. With it being only 39 bucks i knew not to expect much and he even told me that the "action" was high and im basically gonna get what i pay for. I figured since it was my first uke and i've never played an instrument and it was economically friendly i went ahead and bought it. I also picked up a crafter tg-200h clip on tuner. Anyways im gonna start jammin on it tonight and i was wondering if anyone has any experiences with this uke, and if it's quality for a beginner like me. Also, any suggestions on what i could do to make it sound better/enhance it. Ok thanks!

Sorry to hear you were not happy with Island Bazaar:( cuz here I am recommending them to you. Putting on Aquila strings would be the 1st thing I would do also

Use Aquila Concert Reentrant strings, Matt. The SK-10 is pretty representative of ukes in that price range. The laminate top gives it strength, but reduces the volume. The ones I've played have decent intonation. Ric

Nothing wrong starting with a lower priced Uke...

Change out the strings like ricdoug said, work on learnin' some chord shapes and a few songs and while your eating Ramen and popcorn, take those text books you don't use any more and cash them in, give up a few 12 packs and college party nights soon you'll have a stash of cash for a better Uke or sign up for a music class and the the folks you need a better Uke to get the most from the class!!!

Then you can stick that starter in your car/backpack so you can play where ever you are.

Good luck with the Uke and that Midterm!!!

Last edited:
I've got an SK10, and they are a nice design, well made from decent materials.
Once you've got some Aquilas on it, and maybe lowered the action at the nut a tad, you'll have a decent uke that will take you some time to outgrow.

Money well spent, I'd say.

Ukantor

hey everyone thanks for all the advice. its my second day and i already feel discouraged because its such a process haha. i find the strumming patterns on some songs to be the hardest and i hate it that i have no rhythm or musical inclination. haha but anyways im sticking it out and trying my best. any more advice on what songs to learn or chords to learn first. and please i dont really know all the lingo yet so defining some terms would help a lot haha. "action", "nut" etc

i have no rhythm or musical inclination.

I played the Bb Clarinet in school too, Matt. Therefore I know for a FACT that you have some musical inclination. The terms are not as important as practicing chord shapes and strumming, right now. Rest assured you got a decent ukulele for the price and work on making your playing better. It starts to fall in place, shortly. Ric

Hey Matt and any other newer players DON'T stress on strum pattrens!!!!

The Uke is ment to be fun.
The first 2 weeks of my lessons all we played was 4 on the floor strum (DDDD) to get/learn rhythm, then we spent doing DUDU 4 count for the next 6 weeks before we moved on to fancy stuff.

Work on 4 strums C chord, switch to G chord 4 strums, switch Am chord 4 strums, switch F chord 4 strums then repeat and you now know alot of songs.

My self being still kinda new to this I'll play a song DUDU till I get the chord changes figured out, then try to make it fancy with different strums and mutes and picking and stuff.

You have to learn to drive a nail before you can think of building a house.

Top Bottom