Build/assemble your own uke kits?

Icelander53

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there are any assemble your own kits out there that produce a decent sounding end product?? It would be fun to try and maybe help educate me on working with my better ukes that I'm afraid to mess with at this time.

When I was a kid I built a mountain dulcimer from a kit and it sounded very nice and played well.

Stewart MacDonald make very good ukulele kits. I've made a number of the sopranos, and they make up into very decent little instruments. If you go to their website, you can down-load the assembly instructions, so you will see what is involved. I recommend the StewMac kits unreservedly.

If you are up for a little more of a challenge, check out Waldron. They have numerous kits, including soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone. Still mostly mahogany, but some spruce top options, and quilted maple and koa options too. I've purchased a spruce/mahogany from them and found all the materials/hardware to be higher grade than the StewMac kit. Don't get me wrong, the StewMac kit is great, and I highly recommend it as well, but the Waldron kit is a step up. The mahogany in my kit was very nice and actually had some figure to it. The waldron kit requires a little more skill since you have to shape your own peghead (the rest of the neck is pre-carved), and the wood needs to be thinned a bit, but it's a good kit. I believe they might even do a custom thickness on the tonewoods if you contacted them prior to purchase. It's a family business, and they are very nice to deal with.

http://www.waldronmusic.com/productlist.php?type=all&model=Ukulele+Kits&cat=20

-Steve

I should mention that the koa kit at Waldron is not one of their kits, and they source that from a third party. To me, it resembles the Grizzly kit, but I'm not sure. The rest of the kits they sell are ones that they make themselves. They have a huge selection of guitar and other stringed instrument kits too.

-Steve

Top Bottom