Mid-Range Tenor uke??

UkuDee

Reaction score
Greetings Uke People!
I'm a new member; please forgive me for posting a question that has probably been asked from time to time. My question: would a Martin T-1K be one of your top choices for a mid-range tenor uke? I'd like to stay around $450-600 for my first tenor uke purchase. I already have a couple sopranos and a couple concerts, but my guitar fingers are just too cramped. So, do you think the Martin T-1K would be a good choice?
(PS. This is a great website!!! Already I've spent way too much time in this wonderful uke cyberworld!:music:)

I've read the import Martins can vary a bit on sound quality. I'd recommend a Pono tenor in the mid-range price level. Gary Gill also makes nice pear-shaped ukes in your price range. Look in the Marketplace forum.

Greetings Uke People!
I'm a new member; please forgive me for posting a question that has probably been asked from time to time. My question: would a Martin T-1K be one of your top choices for a mid-range tenor uke? I'd like to stay around $450-600 for my first tenor uke purchase. I already have a couple sopranos and a couple concerts, but my guitar fingers are just too cramped. So, do you think the Martin T-1K would be a good choice?
(PS. This is a great website!!! Already I've spent way too much time in this wonderful uke cyberworld!:music:)

Ohana

or

Moku

You can get very well made and sounding solid wood ukuleles in your price bracket. Some of the best values out there imo.

I went with Moku.

Last edited:
I can also recommend the Cordoba T-35. I bought one from a UU'er not too long ago, and it is a quality uke, although perhaps slightly more mini-guitar sounding than some.

I bought and returned two Martin T1Ks. They didn't hold a candle to my Kala KA ASOV, in terms of volume, tone, and construction: http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Kala/Ovangkol/DetailsPageOvangkol.html

The Kala was for sale while I was trying Martin tenors, but that's over. All solid woods, and great sound for $350 is tough to beat. The intonation is dead on on this Kala, and it's gorgeous on top of that. Kala (and many $1,000+ ukeleles) usually have a plastic/Tusq/NuBone nut and saddle, but the ASOV has bone. I like bone, and didn't have to replace the nut and saddle for once. They were just recently released, but can be found at UkeRepublic.com, Elderly Instruments, and many other places. Kala has a large dealer network.

I have a Romero creation Tiny Tenor which I just love. Brand new all Koa is around 600 and they also have a spruce mahogany for around $500. I got lucky and bought mine used here on the forum. You might check it out. I've only been playing for a year with no musical background so my opinion may not mean much..... However I think that this is a very well made solid wood instrument made by someone who takes a lot of pride. I actually sent an email question to Pepe Romero which he answered immediately. I think from that email exchange that he's a pretty cool person who really cares about quality.

I just made a quick video: Http://youtu.be/D91JjPueOSw

This was a one take video, and I haven't seen it yet, so be kind...LOL

P.S. I looked at the video, and failed to mention that the back and sides are SOLID Ovangkol wood. There are no laminates on this instrument.

Last edited:
I have not faired well in my attempts to get info on a Romero Creations Grand Tenor. Emails to HMS as well as Romero Creations in California and one each phone call have gone unanswered after a week.

In the price range mentioned by the OP, I would suggest a Pono ATD. I own the cutaway version and it has been a very well built and performing instrument.

EDIT: I decided to make another attemot at contact and was successfull at getting a response at HMS. The phone at Romero Creations seems to have the answering machine turned off.

I have a Romero creation Tiny Tenor which I just love. Brand new all Koa is around 600 and they also have a spruce mahogany for around $500. I got lucky and bought mine used here on the forum. You might check it out. I've only been playing for a year with no musical background so my opinion may not mean much..... However I think that this is a very well made solid wood instrument made by someone who takes a lot of pride. I actually sent an email question to Pepe Romero which he answered immediately. I think from that email exchange that he's a pretty cool person who really cares about quality.

Last edited:
I have not faired well in my attempts to get info on a Romero Creations Grand Tenor. Emails to HMS as well as Romero Creations in California and one each phone call have gone unanswered.

In the price range mentioned by the OP, I would suggest a Pono ATD. I own the cutaway version and it has been a very well built and performing instrument.

why don't you call HMS 808 622 8000

I know they had 3 Pepe Romero creations tiny tenors in stock at the store on Sunday...

they also have a real Pepe Jr. tiny tenor(made by Pepe in San Diego)

oops,,sorry did not see that you were looking for a Grand tenor....

Last edited:
These may be slightly below what some would call "mid-range". But I defiinitely think Mainland is worth a look. I have a Mainland classic tenor that I got as a Christmas present from me to me and I'm tickled pink with it.

Definitely worth the look.

bborzell, I planned to buy one new from HMS and they never answered my emails either, which was pretty disappointing and then I called and someone answered who didn't even work there but who tried to be helpful. However this is the email address I used for Pepe Romero and as I said he answered immediately. Good luck to you.
pepesguitar@hotmail.com

Seems like the Pono is the preferred tenor in this price range, so far. Interesting!

Seems like the Pono is the preferred tenor in this price range, so far. Interesting!

Yeah UkuDee...the Ponos are really nice...they always get great reviews on the UU...
they have a Mahognany and an Acacia one that is really nice and in your price range...

sorry about going off the thread....try to get it back on track...

Do a search for Pono strings and volume. I had a couple of Pono ukes, and they didn't give much volume without some extra effort. It seems to me like a 50/50 thing with Ponos, with half saying the volume is good, and the other half saying they need higher tension strings to get decent volume. Pono workmanship is dandy, and frets are large (if you like larger frets).

I just made a quick video: Http://youtu.be/D91JjPueOSw

This was a one take video, and I haven't seen it yet, so be kind...LOL

P.S. I looked at the video, and failed to mention that the back and sides are SOLID Ovangkol wood. There are no laminates on this instrument.

That seems like a nice uke; Kalas appear to have stepped it up in recent years. (Just so you know, at about 2:25 on the video it appears that the cleaning lady is rifling through your wife's purse.)

That seems like a nice uke; Kalas appear to have stepped it up in recent years. (Just so you know, at about 2:25 on the video it appears that the cleaning lady is rifling through your wife's purse.)

The cleaning lady ( :D ) and I have two Kalas, and they're both great. The other is a Kala ACT something or another. It's a solid cedar top, laminated acacia B&S, slothead tenor with great tone: $250. We've bought a lot of ukuleles from $250-$1,100, and the Kalas we feel the Kalas are an excellent value. Corey at HMS told me that the cedar top Kala is their best tenor to date, but he hadn't seen the spruce/ovangkol yet. He also said that if you want to get something noticeably better, it's going to be a Kanilea, or one of the other K brands.

These may be slightly below what some would call "mid-range". But I defiinitely think Mainland is worth a look. I have a Mainland classic tenor that I got as a Christmas present from me to me and I'm tickled pink with it.

Definitely worth the look.
I'd agree. My Mainland red cedar tenor is awesome. I love my Pono MHT, too, but they are completely different animals, due in no small part to the woods. Cedar is loud, warm and bold, mahogany is sweeter and more mellow.

Top Bottom