Do you keep you instruments out in the open or in the case?

jcarlos

Reaction score
Do you prefer to leave your instrument out in the open for easy access or do you keep them tucked away in a case or closet?

Soprano Moku right by my bed.
Tenor next to my chair, in front of its soft case.

Baritone under the bed in its hard case to keep it safe from my kids. I would love to keep it out but know it will get beat up by my 4yo.

I keep my ukes in the case...don't want to be lazy and find out someone or something fell on it..i am in Hawaii, I don't want the termites to get it :)...and I play my ukes daily....I don't mind opening my case to practice...

but if the Relative Humidity is ok where you are go ahead and leave them out...

I leave them out on the wall, but I life in a swampy area, even so I use room humidifier if I run the heater a lot in the winter. Low humidity in the summer is in the 60s, usually in the High 80's - 90's. I remember seeing it get in the 30's a few times, it caused a big wildfire warning.

Always in the case unless I'm playing but the cases are in the open and within reach of my chair.

I leave them out on the wall, but I life in a swampy area, even so I use room humidifier if I run the heater a lot in the winter. Low humidity in the summer is in the 60s, usually in the High 80's - 90's. I remember seeing it get in the 30's a few times, it caused a big wildfire warning.

I guess 40-70% relative humidity is best.....any up or down you have to watch out...so best in it's case then

Out of the case on wall hangers - the ones that live in the case don't get played as much. Plus it has forced me to humidify my house which has definitely increased our whole family's comfort level.

I live in Santa Monica so generally humidity is not an issue other than a few days out of the year. Still, I have a room humidifier. I leave them out.

Always in the case unless I'm playing but the cases are in the open and within reach of my chair.
That's pretty much my scenario, too.

I have a corner of the living room with a small piano bench and music stand. My uke books and folders of printed out tabs are in a couple of knitting stands (like little vertical filing cabinets) within reach. The ukes are in a row just across the room. It's my little haven. :)

I might have several out at a time, but when I'm done, they all go back into their cases.

My instruments only see a case when being transported. Otherwise I have a dedicated, humidified, closet with easy access to all of them. Right now there are 7. UAS FTW/

Always in the case because.. cats
Had to laugh at that, but it rings true.

My cat is going on 12 years old, she hibernates most of the day. But sometimes she just goes on a terror. Like earlier when she ran back and forth across the house at breakneck speed several times. She would have knocked over anything in her path. :p

The Luna is in the gig bag unless being played. The vintage camp ukulele and a fixer-upper Kay are in a vintage suitcase. Dust, pollen, and general klutziness makes it safer that way. I am eying the green/black Kala double tenor bag for the two Outdoor Ukuleles on order.

The good one lives in its' case. Low humidity in the winter makes it totally impractical to let it sit out. In the summer when I know the humidity is high I am less strict about it. Plus I am somewhat freakish about damage. Even though we are empty nesters, I always fear a guest will somehow find it and ***kablooey***. I don't wanna chance it.

I had them in gig bags at first, them decided to use a shelf in my bookcase to hang them with the intention of putting lexan doors on to help with the humidity, but in the interim it got very dry and one of my solid ones cracked from the bridge down to the tail. Needless to say I not only put doors on the shelf, I also sealed it all the way around inside. Got a hygrometer and put water trays with covers on the shelf, now the humidity stays between 55 to 60% always.

1 Shelf1.jpg

Last edited:
out in the open at home...in the case away from home, unless I'm playing....

In their cases, behind a locked door with 2 armed guards at all times.

You've seen my dogs, right? (any excuse to post a picture of them tbh)

My dogs and loose instruments aren't a good combination.

puppies.jpg

Mine stay in their cases, but the cases are readily accessible. I don't mind having to open a case to play one of them. And although San Francisco is known for its fog, I live in a building where the radiator comes on automatically twice a day, and it seems to lower the humidity when it does.

Out in the open, I like having them on display and where I live dry air isn't a problem.

Top Bottom