NUD or FUD

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
"Frozen Uke Day" today. Had a uke shipped to where I work so someone would be there to receive it. FedEx left it at the front door at 6:47pm after everyone left to go home. Temperature dropped to 30F over night. So I'm headed to work and will let the box thaw out before opening it. Rats.

Let it acclimate indoors for 2-3 hours before you open it. It should be OK.:)

View attachment 66614 View attachment 66615

So after letting the box sit four hours and the gig bag one hour, I take a look at the ukulele and find the binding separating from the back on both sides of the lower bout. The uke is otherwise fine and sounds good.

Anyone have an idea as what a luthier might charge to repair the separations?

Did it need a signature? If so first I would contact the shipper to get on FedEx. Bummer and sorry!

Did it need a signature? If so first I would contact the shipper to get on FedEx. Bummer and sorry!

Didn't need a signature according to the shipper. I've sent the pics to the shipper and am waiting to hear what they recommend.

I thought F.U. Day was going to mean something different. Was that just me?
Sorry about the frozen uke. Shouldn't be a difficult fix.

If it is a new uke I would contact the seller also after the shipper. Are you sure there is no more damage. It kind of looks like it might have been dropped and compressed it some so the side binding popped. I,d get a mirror and look inside, try pressing in the bottom to see if there is any movement. I would think excessive head would be apt to do this, plus 30. Degrees is not that cold. Bummer. I once got a uke where the neck was broke clean in half due to poor packing?

It kind of looks like a manufacturing defect to me.

If the uke was well packed and the box shows signs of damage, it was a manufacturing defect. Call the place where you bought it, email those pics to them. See what they say. I'm sure they will make it good.

Mind showed up today and I ripped it open before considering that temperature thing as winter is over here. I don't think it got below 50 though. I quickly put it back in the box to let it set for an hour or two to come up to my 70 degree house. All should be well. I think I dodged that bullet.

It's my most expensive uke yet and I just had to look at it. Solid Spruce top and Solid Mahogany back and sides. My first solid wood uke. Lets hope it sounds good. It seemed to be in good condition.

I hope you can get yours going easily. (didn't read past your first post before posting this) It's a real bummer to have one come in compromised.

Last edited:
I thought F.U. Day was going to mean something different. Was that just me?
Sorry about the frozen uke. Shouldn't be a difficult fix.

Well, yes, the potential is there. :)

If it is a new uke I would contact the seller also after the shipper. Are you sure there is no more damage. It kind of looks like it might have been dropped and compressed it some so the side binding popped. I,d get a mirror and look inside, try pressing in the bottom to see if there is any movement. I would think excessive head would be apt to do this, plus 30. Degrees is not that cold. Bummer. I once got a uke where the neck was broke clean in half due to poor packing?

In this case the shipper I referred to is the seller. Sorry for the confusion. No signs of "drop" damage on the bottom of the uke or shipping carton. The binding on the lower bout front looks fine. The inside looks ok and tapping doesn't cause any rattles.

Icelander53,

Mine is used so it was easier for me to let it sit. Brand new and as nice as yours sounds like would be a lot harder to resist,

Last edited:
It kind of looks like a manufacturing defect to me.

If the uke was well packed and the box shows signs of damage, it was a manufacturing defect. Call the place where you bought it, email those pics to them. See what they say. I'm sure they will make it good.

The uke was well packed and the seller has offered to reimburse the repair. Anyone know a good luthier in the Lebanon, NH area?

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and good suggestions on my NUD, FUD. I'll post better pics when this turns the corner to a GUD (Good Uke Day).

This is moving in the "Good Uke Day" direction. FedEx just picked up the uke for repair at the seller's facility. Estimated new NUD in a week maybe.

Update

Well it's been a couple of weeks since FedEx picked up the uke for repair. We had an email exchange last week about the repair details. I left it to their best judgement as to how to repair the separated binding.
I'm getting a little antsy about the wait. A recent credit card statement show I've been charged for the uke purchase.

Just got word that they found the cause and fixed the problem. A brace was cut too long and was pushing the sides out. The uke is on the way home!

Top Bottom