Poaching Redwoods

KnowsPickin

Reaction score
I found a disturbing story on CNN. Poachers are hacking huge chunks out of the giant redwoods. These burls can sell for thousands of dollars each. It leaves a nasty gouge that endangers the entire tree.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/us/california-redwoods-poaching/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I know that most luthiers are very careful about where they get there wood. But I think this story nixes any chance of me ever buying a uke with a redwood top.

I can't imagine how these guys are getting away with this! They'd have to have the right equipment to cut and load this stuff as it weighs a ton. They have to be working in the timber industry to know how to pull this off.
The Giant Sequoia southern most range is just a little north of our place and they are truly amazing. If you haven't seen them you should. They are beyond description.
I think you can rest assured that none of the redwood used in instruments is from the Giant Sequoias but is probably coastal redwoods. Completely different critters.
At some point those guys will get theirs of that I am sure.

I don't know of anyone who would make a redwood burl top. Redwood burl is just not suitable for a top wood. Maybe decoration such as headstock veneer. Lot of guys use sinker redwood which is a recycled product because it has been laying in a river for half a century. The redwood I use is pretty much found wood that comes from old water tanks or laying around local barns. Your worries are unfounded as they pertain to ukulele construction.

If you are that worried about it just use sinker redwood. I highly highly doubt any luthiers on this forum would use the wood referred to in the article.

My first thought as well was burl redwood would be an awful wood to use except for decoration. Sinker on the other hand would be great. Before I even looked at the link I figured it was scummy s*** for brains bottom feeders killing trees for coffee tables, and yep. And of course BARS. Seeing the photos makes me ill, makes me want to weed people like this and all other thieves and brutes out of the gene pool. I should just finish my coffee before I post anything else since my R-complex is doing all the talking.

Top Bottom