Syncing separate video and audio

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I plan on buying a bridge camera (probably a Panasonic FZ200 because of the f2.8 constant aperture) to record video (also for something smaller than my DSLR and bag of lenses for dragging around Hawaii).

Although it has an external microphone input, I was planning on recording the audio separately and syncing it in Premiere Pro.

Has anyone tried PluralEyes or any other application for syncing video and audio?

I don't see the need for separate software to sync audio and video. I use the camera audio track waveform to visually sync with the waveform from my second microphone. As long ans you have editing software to visually display the audio tracks you just need a reference mark to line them up. A few hand claps and the beginning works for me.

I don't understand what you mean by a Bridge Camera ? However what Librainian says ...writes ...works for me...my software of choice is cubase AI 5 for the audio and either Hewlett Packards Arc Soft for a cheapy webcam or I have an ancient but wonderful super 8 Sony camcorder hooked up via Roxio Easy VHS to DVD..I then import the audio (MP3 usually) into Serif Movie X5 and the Video to same and then using my prearranged visual/to audio signal match the two tracks up..... I also now realise what the point and function of a clapperboard is ...doh !!....

I just looked up the FZ200....wow nice piece of kit.....all that and video too ........(I think I get what you mean as a Bridge camera ...one that will function as best as can be expected with just the one telephoto or zoom lens ?...buy a UV filter ...protect your lens ....the best cheapest accessory ever..)

To save time, I'll quote Wikipedia:

Bridge cameras are cameras which fill the niche between the single-lens reflex cameras (SLRs) and the point-and-shoot camera.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] They are often comparable in size and weight to the smallest digital SLRs (DSLR) and there are also superzoom DSLR-shape bridge camera with retractable lens to make it more compact,[SUP][3][/SUP] but almost all digital bridge cameras lack an optical viewfinder system (film bridges generally had a lighter version of a reflex finder). In addition, SLRs normally feature interchangeable lenses, while current bridge cameras do not.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][not in citation given][/SUP] They are prominent in the prosumer market segment. The phrase has been in use at least since the 1980s,[SUP][1][/SUP] and continues to be used with digital cameras.[SUP][2][/SUP]The term "bridge camera" was originally used to refer to film cameras which "bridged the gap" between point-and-shoot cameras and SLRs.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP]

Anyway, I bought one last week ( the day after I posted actually :) ) and it absolutely rocks. It doesn't have the out and out image quality of my DSLR and bag full of lenses, but it also doesn't weigh over 7lbs (it weighs about 1).

It also has a 25-600mm equivalent lens which is a constant f2.8 aperture through the whole range. The video quality is superb, especially 1080 50p (we're PAL standard here don't forget, you'd get 60p in the USA).

Full manual control over shutter and aperture for video is a huge bonus, and the 100 and 200 fps slow motion video is great fun (again, because of the difference in standards, in America you get 120 and 240fps). The flip out and rotate screen is great for composing video; you can see how daft you look when recording a performance, and it's the only good quality bridge camera that has a dedicated external audio in.

The built in stereo microphone is good quality and gives a reasonably accurate rendition of the instrument, and even though it picks up the sound of the fans in my PC when I record in my room, I can easily sample and remove the noise using Reaper/Audacity/Adobe Audition CS6.

The quality of still photographs is also excellent. A good habit that I got into a long time ago is always shooting RAW, then post-processing in Photoshop or Lightroom. This obviates the need for any of the in-camera special effects, but they;'re there if you want them.

Altogether an excellent piece of kit, and the value of that Leica f2.8 lens can't be overestimated. Highly recommended.

Why would I want sixty pee in America.......? It's a )the wrong currency and b) I don't live there !!

I got the "Bridge" camera partially right then ...not bad for a Digital Camera Duffer......I still dream of Canon aE1s, Olympus OM10s and the dinky little Pentax110 with a built in zoom lens and slr capability......ahh me.....So, sounds like you're sorted then ?

Jarvo

Top Bottom