String comparison spreadsheet

NOTLguy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
There have been many threads on string comparison on UU and I was wondering if anyone has done a string comparison spreadsheet showing Manufacturers, different materials, string diameter specs, sound comparisons ( bright or mellow etc ), string lengths for soprano, concert etc., sources etc.

In other words, a comprehensive string guide spreadsheet. It would be an excellent resource and reference for choosing strings to try on our ukuleles.

I realize there is a FYI Uke Strings thread in Ukulele Tips, Tricks and Techniques as a sticky.

Dreaming away here in Niagara-on-the-Lake,

Bill

Last edited:
NOT.
I vaguely remember someone posting a few years ago they were going to do this. Might want to poke around and see who that was and pm them to see what they did with it.

I remember that too from a few years ago. With all the new strings that have come out since then it's obsolete now anyway.

If such a spreadsheet was available, what are the most important specifications you would want included on it to make it most informative?

Gordon and Char of Mya Moe Ukuleles have a data base of useful information and string comparisons posted on the Mya Moe Ukulele website. Check it out......it may be useful
Dave

One useful spec not always given is string length. If you experiment with strings on scales for which they are not specifically marketed, it is important to know if a given set of concert strings will fit on your 19 or 20 inch baritone. We might have to measure them ourselves & share that info. (The low G red Aquila I recently put on a tenor is much shorter than the D'Addario I took off, for example)

It would be a very cool thing for us beginners who wonder what all the string fuss is about. At one time I didn't think it was a big deal. Then I tried some different strings and was amazed. It can make a lot of difference.

Of course I'm sure it varies a lot from instrument to instrument but it would be a great place to start the hunt for the sound you are after.

Thanks for the replies about a spreadsheet. Upon further reflection, it seems to me that it would be a very large spreadsheet and therefore better for viewing than for printing. I say this as I have almost completed a sheet on D'Addario strings which includes column headings as follows:

String Model Name eg: D'Addario Nyltech Mellow
String Model Number eg: EJ88S
Ukulele type eg: Soprano
String Name eg: Nyltech
String Diameter (inches ) a column for each of G C E and A strings
String Diameter ( mm ) A coluimn for each of G C E and A strings
String Tension ( lbs ) a column for each of G C E and A strings
String Tension ) kg ) a column for each of C G E and A strings
String composition ( material or combination of materials such as in wound strings ) eg: Nylon

So it is 21 columns wide without adding in 'String Length'. After working on this sheet for awhile I thought it might be better to have a different spreadsheet for each manufacturer as adding more to this one only makes viewing comparisons difficult and of course printing impossible. I also thought of what the final format of the file might be. It can be a PDF file which might be more usable by others than an Excel file.

Any other thoughts on this?

Bill

Any other thoughts on this?

Rather than using the information above as column headings making the spreadsheet 21 columns wide, put that information on the vertical axis so that the spreadsheet is 21 lines long. The columns would then become the different strings that are being reported or compared. I think it would then be easier to print on the page (horizontally) and it seems like it would be easier to compare the different strings by reading the information from left to right.

Rather than using the information above as column headings making the spreadsheet 21 columns wide, put that information on the vertical axis so that the spreadsheet is 21 lines long. The columns would then become the different strings that are being reported or compared. I think it would then be easier to print on the page (horizontally) and it seems like it would be easier to compare the different strings by reading the information from left to right.

That will work better and the new spreadsheet is underway.

One major issue I have is that Aquilla does not post their string diameters or tensions. Does anyone know where I can obtain this information? Any help would be appreciated. Also, string lengths are as scarce as hens teeth.

Bill

Juststrings.com has some string info under descriptions but not for it's entire line.

One major issue I have is that Aquilla does not post their string diameters or tensions.
They do so right on their web page at the very bottom.

And if you want to know more you could ask forum member mimmo who is the owner of Aquila.

Totally missed that at the bottom.
That PDF does not seem to download for some reason.

Bill
~ pretty sure you have to log in to the site as an approved retailer to have access to that info. Surely Mimmo would make basic info that other brands provide available. The almost identical Nyltech (like Nylgut) have diameter & tension right on the package.

Top Bottom