Uke sighting on American Idol last night...

cua94

Reaction score
Did anyone else yell loudly "He's playing a Uke!" when Alex Preston performed Jason Mraz's hit I'm Yours? I think it was a riptide - was it a Bari?

Not the most outstanding song of the night but it got my attention!

Looked like it had a one piece molded back and sides when he handed it to the guy off-stage.

It's an ovation electric tenor or copy thereof. They sound pretty ordinary when played acoustically and not that much better plugged in.

Anthony

Is that show still on? Gosh what we don't miss since we dumped cable.

You should be practicing, not staring at a piece of furniture... ;-)

I remember watching season 2. I think it was better back then.

Beats me why he would play an Applause on AMERICAN IDOL. Fox has all the money in the world, can't they hook a brother up with something better? Jeez. Those things probably haven't been upgraded since season 2!

Fox and the show do not choose the instruments, it's all about what company will pay to have their equipment shown. Taylor ponied up, looks like Kaman Ovation (Fender) did too. Does Fender also own Taylor?

I thought he did really well, I can't imagine how hard it is to sing AND play live like that!

I'm surprised nobody has disparaged his playing ability because he chose to use a pick.

I'm surprised nobody has disparaged his playing ability because he chose to use a pick.

Ah but did he have a tuner on the head and fret with his thumb?

Well, I could never stand up in front of that many people and do what he does. Good for him! Any ukulele is better than no ukulele.

I am hoping he wins. I really enjoy his stuff. No....I haven't seen last nights show, so I don't know who got the boot.

At moments like this, I almost regret I gave up cable TV last summer and have had no TV feed in the house at all since then...

Not really.

It's an ovation electric tenor or copy thereof. They sound pretty ordinary when played acoustically and not that much better plugged in.

Anthony

You're Right about it being a bit acoustically ordinary, but it is known to be one of the best when plugged in. Very popular amongst performing musicians in Hawaii and beyond

I guess I was the other voice you may have heard yelling the exact same thing! Even contacted a couple of other new ukers. Noticed that there was a couple of ukes that appeared during tryout season, too. Hope to see a lot more of that!
Btw, I love how you name your ukes...I do, too...

According to the owner of L.A. Guitars who posted on a guitar forum about it, the Idol contestants buy their own instruments. They are not playing "high end" guitars, maybe for that reason. The Taylor MiniGS Alex plays was purchased there, don't know about the ukulele.

Top Bottom