Concert thickness

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I hope that you're all having a great day, morning, evening- where ever you are!
Quick question- and I know this has a lot to deal with personal taste...but, I have some lovely pistachio wood i'm going to use on my first Concert build and I need to get the wood milled. What is the recommended thickness for the top, back and sides? Also, has anyone ever used pistachio for a build? Can I /should I use it for top, back and sides or should I consider using a different tonewood for the sound board?
Biting off far more than I can chew as usual, but the studio parrot loves the entertainment!
Thanks so much!
Nancy

I just delivered a pistachio yesterday and am finishing another. I like the stuff and thought it was easy to build with. Bent fine, no problems and I was worried about the grafts. Have a redwood top on the both. I think I made my back and sides 0.075. The finished one has a nice full tone and is pretty durn loud.
Today I asked the lady that has it if she would take some photos as I kinda forgot. Can't believe I forgot as it is the most spectacular looking uke I have built yet.

I've seen pistachio used before....search this site and you should find some
I make my concerts about 0.075" with mahogany. Maybe 0.07" after final sanding. I m not familiar with pistachio wood though...just the nuts (I'm familiar with a lot of nuts) Probably in the same ballpark anyway for thicknesses

Thanks so much for your advice- I'm looking forward to trying this wood for this build. I'm going to use the wood all the way around and on top since the grain is so incredibly pretty! I'm having the wood milled by a local cabinetry shop, I might even pick up a few free lance projects doing some woodcarving for them!
Happy Monday to you all!!!:cool:

That's some interesting wood. I looked online and saw several guitar sets that featured the graft area (apparently the trees that are favored for the nuts are grafted onto another variety of pistachio whose roots are resistant to pests and rot). I didn't see any pistachio sets that didn't feature the graft. Seems like that would limit the number of sets one could get from a tree...

I purchased the only 2 non grafted sets! The grafting made me a bit concerned too! Built my assembly jigs last night! Having a lot of fun!

I really was concerned about the grafting on the sides and bending but the stuff bent really nicely. The gal that has it says she will make me some photos but so far I haven't seen them.
By the way, I got some of the little silicone mixing bowls, or what ever they are, and they work great. Really good for mixing the epoxy. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom