Light / soft strings?

mikelz777

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for light / soft strings?

I've tried D'Addario J92 Pro Arte strings and I didn't like them at all. I've also tried Aquila but I'm not very fond of them. My favorite strings have been Martin M600s and Oasis fluorocarbons. Are there any other strings out there that are even lighter and/or softer than the M600s or the Oasis fluorocarbons?

+1 on the Worth Browns.

Another one to consider is Aquila Reds. They are thin, more uniform in diameter than most string sets, and have a very different albeit soft feel to them.

E

+1 on Southcoasts or Worth Brown Lights. I use the WBLs on my vintage sopranos and my WL Kamaka concert.

+1 on the Worth Browns.

Another one to consider is Aquila Reds. They are thin, more uniform in diameter than most string sets, and have a very different albeit soft feel to them.

E

I am so glad you mentioned Aquila Reds. I have a set in transit, never tried them before. I do like a soft type of string so I am really looking forward to their arrival.

I like the Worth CL (clear lights) alot on my concert.

For those of you who have used the Southcoast strings, on their web site, they indicate that all their ukulele string sets have a minimum length of 30 inches. I have a concert with a 15 inch scale length. Would I be able to get 2 sets of strings out of it or wouldn't there be enough when you have to account for knotting at the bridge and winding at the tuners?

Last edited:
I really, really like the Worths. I haven't tried Living Water or Southcoast. I hope to do that when string changes come around again.

Ditto on the Southcoasts

For those of you who have used the Southcoast strings, on their web site, they indicate that all their ukulele string sets have a minimum length of 30 inches. I have a concert with a 15 inch scale length. Would I be able to get 2 sets of strings out of it or wouldn't there be enough when you have to account for knotting at the bridge and winding at the tuners?

The scale length is the distance from the nut to the saddle, so 30" would not be nearly enough for two concert ukuleles.

Hello Jim Hanks, I also have to tune my Kamaka Bari to linear A. That was the first tuning that didn't buzz my 3rd string. Did you have the same problem? Am using Southcoast LL NW. Sounds great but would rather tune at the linear C position. Thanks, JJFN

DownUpDave, did you read the thread on Aquila Reds? Lots of broken string stories. I had a Low G Red on my Pineapple Soprano, and it snapped while I was just sitting, reading a book. It buzzed too on my other soprano.

DownUpDave, did you read the thread on Aquila Reds? Lots of broken string stories. I had a Low G Red on my Pineapple Soprano, and it snapped while I was just sitting, reading a book. It buzzed too on my other soprano.

Yes I did read all the horror stories of breakage. I am going to try it aways, I like a bit of excitement and a good expolsion every now and then.

It was stated that most of the problems occurred because the slots in the nut at the G string was not wide enough. Second was because the strings have a texture they abrade at the slot while tuning up. The video shows having the string out of the slot while tensioning them. We shall see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Someone at Sam Ash Music told me the issue with Aquila Reds was solved....anyone know about this?

Hello Jim Hanks, I also have to tune my Kamaka Bari to linear A. That was the first tuning that didn't buzz my 3rd string. Did you have the same problem? Am using Southcoast LL NW. Sounds great but would rather tune at the linear C position. Thanks, JJFN
I did not have a buzzing string on the Bruko as the action is a little on the high side even after I lowered it as much as I dared. I was actually aiming for linear Bb with the "custom" LW set but stopped when got to A. Funny you should mention the SC LL-NW. I have two sets of those intended for a banjolele but they didn't work, so now I'm looking at having a uke built to fit the strings. :). By the way, SC says the LL-NW is intended for linear C on a bari. I'm surprised they aren't really floppy at linear A.

Thanks Jim for the advice. Makes sense to me, have a spare set of strings, build a ukulele to fit them :). What has happened I went back to a Linear C tuning on my bari, and I don't know why but they only buzz when I really go at them. Meaning when I thumb strum, there is no buzz. So maybe by Divine Intervention the problem is sorting itself out. And maybe as the strings stretch out more (they are brand new) the buzz will stop. I spoke to Dirk at SC and he was very helpful, I'll get back to him and let him know that the problem seems to be resolving itself. In the grand scheme of things these are good problems. Really enjoy this website, very helpful. Have a great weekend. JJFN

I just put Aquila Reds on a vintage 1940's Silvertone solid mahogany soprano. Wow, love the sound.

I had reds on my concert for 6 months no breaks, and it sounded great!
so issues with reds i think their awesome. Waiting for my living want high D
baritone strings to come in the mail, and also waiting on mya-moe strings too
we shall see how they sound.

The south coast ones just seem to confusing as far as their charts i cant figure out
what the strings are for, its to complicated. Just give me a set that says what it's for
and ill be happy give me some oddly named set for some whacked out tuning in which
i need to follow chart to figure it out and im not so happy.

Top Bottom