Royal Hawaiian Ukulele for $200?

FadaBullet

Reaction score
A friend of mine on another forum(non uke) just sent me this PM

"There's a gorgeous Koa Royal Hawaiian (something like that) standard uke for sale in my neighborhood pawn shop for 200$. It looks really nice. If you want I could get it for you."

She doesn't play uke but she is a musician who plays guitar and bass so I know that this is not a piece of junk.Do you think I should follow up on this?

She said it looks exactly like this one but in excellent condition.Worth $200?

royalhawaiianuke.jpg

ok.........

It depends a lot on the year it was built and the exact condition. The Royal Hawaiian brand was made by Kumulae for sale at the Royal Hawaiian hotel. I know that Kumulae stopped manufacturing in 1940, when the owner died and I've seen a 1920's Kumulae in great shape for sale for $1,000 in a shop in Honolulu. If it was a Kumulae and really was in excellent condition I'd say go for it. I have no idea whether the Royal Hawaiian ones are worth more or less though.

The one in your pictures is currently on eBay with a few hours left and no bids at $75.

EDIT: A little more research shows that there may have been several companies who manufactured with the "Royal Hawaiian" crest and the value is largely dependent on which one...from $50 on up. This one definitely looks like a Kumulae based on the crest and the shape of the headstock, in which case it's worth at least $200, possible two or three times that depending on age and condition.

Last edited:
I called the shop were my friend saw the uke and they guy there told me it is not a Royal Hawaiian. The head stock says "Aloha Hawaii" so maybe it is like this? He told me the price is $189 no case.

180U-762_headstock-front.jpg

180U-762_front.jpg

I called the shop were my friend saw the uke and they guy there told me it is not a Royal Hawaiian. The head stock says "Aloha Hawaii" so maybe it is like this? He told me the price is $189 no case.
Could be but there were a lot of companies manufacturing ukes in the early 1900's using the "Aloha" brand with quality all over the place. Without being able to see this particular uke and/or run photos by someone who's an expert I'd say it's a potentially risky purchase. Did you ask the guy how he came up with the price?

Could be but there were a lot of companies manufacturing ukes in the early 1900's using the "Aloha" brand with quality all over the place. Without being able to see this particular uke and/or run photos by someone who's an expert I'd say it's a potentially risky purchase. Did you ask the guy how he came up with the price?

he said from the price guide(guitar?)also said he thought it was from the 1950s.

Here is The Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide he used to price this uke(it backs up what you say).

Top Bottom