Pimp My Schoenhut

RPA_Ukuleles

Reaction score
So if any of you remember the MTv show Pimp My Ride, this is...

6_zpsca570068.jpg

After reading the threads on the Schoenhut, I decided to get one and see for myself what could be done with one. Out of the box it wasn't all that bad for $30, definitely had potential! I decided a new top, fretboard and bridge, and re-carve the neck would be good. Now I can't say that it was simple to rework it, (and I'm in the middle of 5 other ukes right now) but it really did turn out quite a nice little ukulele. It's kind of chimey and music box like. maybe for the next one I'll aim for a more mellow tone. But for the investment, this little rascal is very nice indeed.

The top is a beautiful old piece of mahogany with a koa rosette, and the fretboard and bridge are ebony. I also re-carved the neck for a much slimmer less chunky profile, and I did use the tuners that came with (with mods they function very well). This is a very fun project but you gotta know what you're doing to make it come out right. The neck was a challenge to re-fit for the thinner soudboard, and glueing the top to the plastic is tricky. I have a set of Martin M600s on it for starters.

2_zps3fb9232e.jpg

3_zpsfefa2046.jpg

4_zps9891e07c.jpg

It's currently running on a borrowed nut and saddle, hope to make new ones this weekend. All in all, I can recommend to those who like the idea of Pimping a bargain, just don't kid yourself that it will be a piece of cake!

Will try to get a video/sound sample up by early next week.

Looking forward to the sound sample. It looks great.

Nice looking! Did you do the freboard yourself or did you get a prefretted one?

That mahogany is absolutely beautiful! But don't you miss the parrot?:D

haha...ultimately you have a new uke. If Schoenhut sold it like this, we would probay all praise it like the Fleas

Top Bottom