Australian Blackwood - Free locally (Oakland CA) or Ship for reasonable offer

Warbulele

Reaction score
A whole heck of a lot of Australian Blackwood (aka Tasmanian Blackwood, Acacia Blackwood) is available in short log form a tree removal company.
It's free if you're local (Oakland CA), heck they'll even deliver a truckload to you for free (some has been split for firewood, but a lot of it isn't) Some of it looks quite good to my eyes, and about the right size to be cut up/quartered for Uke bodies. You can just go by and get it, any quantity.

[Edit: I'm removing my offer to ship some, for various reasons, sorry]

Here's a picture of the truckload of it and link to the craigslist posting:
acacia blackwood.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad they whacked it up in small pieces. I have gotten a few trees out of Oakland There is quite a bit of it growing there. The thing to do is go to the tree service with a case of beer and tell them what you are looking for and ask them to call you when they are taking that kind of tree down. Then you can get the lengths you want.

That's a big truck. I'm sure that many of the logs are plenty big enough for making ukulele's even if every piece isn't big enough. I have 2 blackwood ukulele's. They sound fantastic and are the pick of my collection.

Anthony

I'll take that chunk on top....no, the one on the left....no, the other one....

lol ksquine. good point. I was overreaching in my offer really, just thought it was sad to see so much great wood turn into firewood. there are some nice dark red dense looking logs, if only I had the skill and equipment...
thanks for the tip michael, and interesting to know theres a bit of it here.
to my eyes there are some that look just big enough for uke top/back. (but probably not sides)
thanks allen and anthony, I've never heard a blackwood uke but I'll keep my ears out.

Top Bottom