Uke care and cleaning

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I've been using this preservation polish from Stewart MacDonald on my instruments for years.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Hand_polishing/Preservation_Polish.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=391

Is there anything new out there comparable or better that anyone has found.

When I do a string change I take a soft toothbrush and clean the frets, then follow with lemon oil on the fretboard followed by a wipe-down of the entire uke (fretboard too) with the preservation polish with a soft cloth. I let it sit for awhile and buff it out.

I am almost out of preservation polish, any alternatives out there?

Rick Turner recommends Virtuoso polish and cleaner on his gloss finish instruments.

With shipping the preservation Polish is around $15. I was wondering if there was something less expensive and more accessible folks were using.

Ah...okay...nevermind. (I was going to recommend Renaissance Wax but it is more expensive...) LOL

Seriously, though. Ever since a maker of custom wood flutes turned me on to Renaissance Wax I've used it on everything from firearms to wooden flutes to guitars and ukes and been pleased pink with the results. It protects very well. Makes shiny stuff shiny but adds only a touch of luster to untreated or satin-finished wood. I don't even oil my fretboards anymore, just use the wax (unless I get in an instrument that is really obviously ried out - then I'll treat with oil two or three times and then switch to the wax).

John

I got this rec from Hodge a while back, got both polish and cleaner, it is quite good indeed, takes only a little. Chuck Moore also recommended it on another thread. And Rick Turner in this thread. I think it's well worth it.

If you like your results, don't change. I use Virtuoso polish on gloss finishes.
http://www.virtuosopolish.com

I use a cloth to dust them now and then, and try to remember to oil the fretboard when I change strings... and on some rare occasions I did out my bottle of Dunlop guitar cleaner and do a uke or two.

Top Bottom