Need advice for a pickup :)

Pashley

Reaction score
Looking to install a pickup on my Fender Tenor.

From my research, it seems an under saddle type is better than a piezo transducer type. I can install it, as I am a professional woodworker.

I'm looking for a good quality model - but I don't need concert quality. I understand Fishman is very good. Willing to spend $125.

So, my question is, is an under saddle better, what brand & model would you suggest, and where to buy it?

Thanks!

As important as the pickup is the install so make sure you hire someone with the skills. That said, I would spend an extra $25 and fork out for the LR Baggs 5-0. The MISI is another good one, but I'd chose the Baggs nine times out of ten.

No need to spend a fortune. Go on ebay amd search for an ARTEC ukulele undersaddle passive pickup. It is inexpensive but on par with all those expensive pickups in my experience.

I prefer an active system. I've installed preamps with built in tuners in the side of four of my ukes, and changed out a few under saddle pickups, but had luthiers deepen the bridge that didn't have an existing pickup. The only passive pickup I have is a Fishman Pro AG0-Uke installed by a technician, who did a good job, but I don't like the limited volume it has. I've bought a variety of good active preamp systems from China.

An "undersaddle type" pickup is a piezo transducer, it's just a bar style rather than a disc type and it's designed to pick up vibrations from the saddle. The disc type is usually installed to pick them up from the soundboard, directly under and bridge. They are also installed on the soundboard at an optimal point between the bridge and sound hole (requires some testing). Some two disc models are installed in both places. Many fine ukes, including Mya Moe, use the disc type piezo's (K&K) and claim a more "natural" sound. The disc tends to pick up more "handling noise", the undersaddle more "string thump." I would prefer an external pre-amp to an on board "active system" unless it was a MiSi or similar style. Not sure one is actually superior to the other...personal preference and trade offs.

As important as the pickup is the install so make sure you hire someone with the skills. That said, I would spend an extra $25 and fork out for the LR Baggs 5-0. The MISI is another good one, but I'd chose the Baggs nine times out of ten.

Misi uses a baggs pick up.......

So glad this thread was posted, as I'm looking for passive pickup advice for a couple of my ukes.

I couldn't find any information on Tundra. Has anyone heard of the Pickup The World brand? And if so, what is your opinion?

Misi uses a baggs pick up.......

Just the UST is from LR Baggs, the other components are just as important. It's like TV, there's only so many panel makers in the world but the picture quality is not the same.

Top Bottom