different necks

peejay52

Reaction score
After reading a few posts it seems that there are different width necks..Can anyone explain which ukes have the widest necks and are these type expensive here in the UK

The ones listed below are all soprano models. I measured the width of the fretboard with calipers just this side of the nut.

Kala KA-15S: 1.362"
Kala SMHS: 1.365"
KoAloha Opio: 1.400"
KoAloha Pikake: 1.510"

I find the 15S just as easy to play as the Pikake, even though they're on the far ends of the spectrum. I find the SMHS the hardest to play because I tend to have the A string roll off the side of the fret. I initially thought it was the neck width that made the difference with these until I got the calipers out. Even though the 15S has a narrower neck width than the SMHS, the nut spacing is more narrow on the 15S and as such, I don't have the string roll-off issues. Nor do I find the string spacing too narrow, and I do a lot of fingerstyle playing.

Measuring the nut grooves from the inside of the G and A strings, the spacing on the 15S is 1", on the SMHS it's 1.070". That extra .070" spread with only .003" extra width on the fretboard is very noticeable to me. Knowing this, I can change out the nut on the SMHS and have a much more playable uke when I'm done.

As far as UK prices on ukes, I'm clueless. But I would say to keep an eye on not only neck width, but nut string groove spacing as well.

The following is for tenors; I'm not sure of other sizes:

Islanders are 1.5" as Icey53 says.
Kanileas, too (they "make" Islanders).
KoAloha.
Cordoba.
Pepe Romero.
& probably others I'm not aware of.

TheUkuleleSite.com (HMS) sells all of the above. You could start the process of "buying" one, enter your location, see the shipping costs, and then "un-buy" it (all without entering credit card info). (Or you could buy it, of course.)

The uke with the widest neck that I know of is the Oscar Schmidt OU6W. It's a laminate koa tenor; width at the nut is 1.75".

Thanks again...i was looking at the oscar wide neck on ebay and the seller ships to the uk......However ill try to locate one locally first

Top Bottom