Critiques Corner..........Seasonista Reviews

mythinformed

Reaction score
Following on from Jons link about 'criticism' I thought maybe there was a need for some to have the honest feedback they seek and have a place for the seasonistas to review it for them.

I personally am uncomfortable with the idea of giving a critique unless someone directly asks me to and besides who the hell am I to be offering my opinion without consent anyway ??

This place is for genuine and honest constructive criticism by seasonistas for those wishing to have their work reviewed.

Last edited:
Good idea. I like the Seasons a lot...a very lot ....but would like to have views and tips and crit as well...CONSTRUCTIVE is good ...destructive brings out the sulk button and the Big Bad Bash'em Mallet !! :rolleyes:

I'm all for this. I love the amount of positive comments here, people are much more forthcoming with them than any other platform I've aired my music on.

I have always been slightly paranoid about compliments in any context, though, and especially ones where I see my own flaws. I'm well aware that my videos are VERY inconsistent in quality, and I'd love to see what others think I should try to improve on.

Last edited:
Good idea. I like the Seasons a lot...a very lot ....but would like to have views and tips and crit as well...CONSTRUCTIVE is good ...destructive brings out the sulk button and the Big Bad Bash'em Mallet !! :rolleyes:
I think the word 'criticism' is generally viewed as a bad thing but it can do so much good when its coming from the right place and used positively i.e constructively.

I remember a while back a Youtuber had left a comment saying my melodies were unrecognisable and the reasons why ....... my initial thoughts were to kidnap him, take him home and keep him locked up under the stairs and bring him out once in a while and torture him Lol..... however once the impact of what he had said calmed I could actually see where he was coming from and why he had said what he said and worked that bit harder and improved.

Last edited:
I'm all for this, there are a few Seasonistas who are generally very honest in their comments and I'm thankful for that. The approach I tend to take when commenting is to find something I genuinely like about the video and point it out. I feel cautious in providing constructive criticism for a couple of reasons: Firstly I'm younger than a lot of the other Seasonistas, and I worry they wouldn't want some "snot-nosed little brat" telling them what to do; secondly, I've never had a uke/singing/guitar/harmonica lesson in my life. I feel any criticism I made would be subjective and only represent my opinion. That being said, if somebody wanted my opinion (for some strange reason) I'd happily give it.

So how's this gonna work then? Offer up specific videos for critique or just ask for general observations?

So how's this gonna work then? Offer up specific videos for critique or just ask for general observations?

Well, without a specific performance video to critique, general observations are....well........kinda general. I'd say asking for input on a specific video would be the right way to go.........there would be specific things to make note of and offer suggestions.

As a generality, I would offer this for improving ones' vocals: stand in a corner or against a wall, I mean right on the wall. The hard surface reflects the voice right back at you and you can hear yourself much, much better. When you can hear yourself accurately it's easier to know what needs work..........breath control, pitch issues, phrasing, etc. Get close enough to the wall to have an effect.......like 4-5 inches. Lean in to leave room for your instrument. This works. And sing from the diaphram, way down low. This is where vocal power and control comes from. Try tightening your abdominal muscles as you sing. Do it in the middle of a vocal phrase and you will hear the difference this can make. Sing from below, not from your throat.

Last edited:
Well, without a specific performance video to critique, general observations are....well........kinda general. I'd say asking for input on a specific video would be the right way to go.........there would be specific things to make note of and offer suggestions.

As a generality, I would offer this for improving ones' vocals: stand in a corner or against a wall, I mean right on the wall. The hard surface reflects the voice right back at you and you can hear yourself much, much better. When you can hear yourself accurately it's easier to know what needs work..........breath control, pitch issues, phrasing, etc. Get close enough to the wall to have an effect.......like 4-5 inches. Lean in to leave room for your instrument. This works.

Very good point.

Or maybe just use this for a sign-up thread for people encourage others to send them a private message with their thoughts? I dunno.

There's an excellent option: PRIVATE critiquing.
What if the people who want serious critique make it known in their posts that PMs with specific ideas for improvement are welcome? Lumpy has said this right out in thread posts, but I haven't seen others do that.

I've PMed a couple of my Seasonista friends and directly asked for critiques, which I have gotten privately. I'm fairly self-conscious about my playing and I really prefer the private comments.

[Oops, didn't see Ryan's comment about private critique above.]

Some good points made, I would say upload it on here and specify feedback to be made either privately or publicly ..........roll with whatever you're comfortable with.

My playing is no better or no worse than most but I appreciate a fresh pair of ears regardless of what level someone thinks they are at........all opinions are valid.

Buc you've probably pointed at least two of us in the right direction here !! Lol

Last edited:
You need to be very careful what you say here or on You Tube as they are public forums that anyone can read and negative or poorly phrased comments can cause upset or offence. It's probably OK to make suggestions, for example suggesting an alternative fingering for a chord to make a transition easier if someone seems to be having problems with a chord change. If you think their pitching of a song is out or the uke has intonation problems then comments on that have to be done by PM and then only if feedback has been explicitly asked for.

Mostly it's better to mentally note an issue then praise the person for a later video where they seem to have addressed the issue you noticed. If you are able to say how their playing or singing has come on then they will feel good about it and will be encouraged to continue to try and improve.

If you're going to comment on a video always find something positive to say about it.

If in doubt say nothing. If you don't like what they've done, say nothing.

You need to be very careful what you say here or on You Tube as they are public forums that anyone can read and negative or poorly phrased comments can cause upset or offence. It's probably OK to make suggestions, for example suggesting an alternative fingering for a chord to make a transition easier if someone seems to be having problems with a chord change. If you think their pitching of a song is out or the uke has intonation problems then comments on that have to be done by PM and then only if feedback has been explicitly asked for.

Mostly it's better to mentally note an issue then praise the person for a later video where they seem to have addressed the issue you noticed. If you are able to say how their playing or singing has come on then they will feel good about it and will be encouraged to continue to try and improve.

If you're going to comment on a video always find something positive to say about it.

If in doubt say nothing. If you don't like what they've done, say nothing.

Most of your points and concerns have been covered on the previous page with some great suggestions made Geoff but I do agree that constructive criticism is paramount in giving feedback to those requesting it.

Last edited:

As a generality, I would offer this for improving ones' vocals: stand in a corner or against a wall, I mean right on the wall. The hard surface reflects the voice right back at you and you can hear yourself much, much better. When you can hear yourself accurately it's easier to know what needs work..........breath control, pitch issues, phrasing, etc. Get close enough to the wall to have an effect.......like 4-5 inches. Lean in to leave room for your instrument. This works. And sing from the diaphram, way down low. This is where vocal power and control comes from. Try tightening your abdominal muscles as you sing. Do it in the middle of a vocal phrase and you will hear the difference this can make. Sing from below, not from your throat.

I explained all this to my Ukulele today ....not a peep from it though......it just will not sing how I want it to !! :nana::smileybounce::biglaugh:....have I said I love these little fellers....have I ?

Seriously though ...there are loads of ways to get stuff across to people without being hurtful or rude .....e.g. " Hey I really liked your last video...the playing is coming on ...maybe if you just slowed it down a little more that solo break would have been super ...it was good ...but could have been a stonker "

"I thought that I could hear a little something off in the timing...it could be me ...I'm ancient ....so I practice with this *product of your choice opportunity*"

Because believe me ...if people are not advised , directed , shown , taught , mentored ....then somewhere down the road they are going to be seriously devastated ...."why didn't somebody say something " !!!!

Penn'orth ha'penny.

Last edited:
Most of your points and concerns have been covered on the previous page with some great suggestions made Geoff but I do agree that constructive criticism is paramount in giving feedback to those requesting it.

It doesn't do any harm to reiterate these points

Top Bottom