How much do you charge to play?

jungleturtle

Reaction score
I know people don't like to discuss this, but I'm hoping I can get a ballpark figure. No, we're not playing a ballpark. It's a library.

My wife and I have been trying to break into playing places for a little while now and we've mostly been playing free shows, because nobody wants to pay. We now have a chance at our first paying gig, but we're not sure what to charge.

I play ukulele on some songs and guitar on others as well as harmonica on most, and both of us sing. They're asking what we would charge for a one hour show. This is in Portland, Oregon if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is $200 too much? Too little? I've been a musician for many years, but never "professional." I have been paid before, but I've always let them set the price, which has varied widely. My wife is a good singer and was in choir back in high school and college.

$100? $300? I really don't know.

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion, to look professional, give them a rate sheet on paper that shows a first time customer rate and a normal rate. The first time rate could be say $100 for one hour for both of you, and an additional $50 if it's more than 5 minutes into and up to the next hour, and $100 for each additional hour. The normal rate is say $250 minimum for up to 2 hours, plus $100 for each additional hour.

They should see that as a first time customer, they can pay as little as $100, or if they use you for three hours, they pay $250 instead of $350. This is just a starting point, you can modify the amounts to suite yourself.

As you probably realize, it comes down to some combination of "what the market will bear" (what they'll pay) and what you can bear (what makes it worthwhile to you). I always ask "What's your budget for the show?" but often people don't answer specifically, because each side is waiting for the other one to go first and commit.

You always can leave a little wiggle room. For instance, if you say $200 and they say that's a little too much, you can say $150 or $175 "if we don't have to learn any specific songs, and can just go with our usual repertoire." Or you can say $150 for 45 minutes. (But it's nice for each person to get three figures, even if the two people sleep in the same bed – I mean, will be putting it into the same household account.)

Also, are people paying to see the show? If so, then that should mean that you can go higher, because the library isn't taking everything from their funds.

O1ZsK.jpg

In general, I charge $50 to play and $150 to stop...

Scooter

That's a hard one. In coastal SC, in one of the larger cities a good paying gig for bands without an agent are about $80-$100 per person per night (not hour). In general the less people in the band, the more per person. Some folks use loopers and vocal harmonizers for this reason.

If it is a weekly/biweekly/monthly gig folks charge less.

For one time special events folks get more and those are usually a one hour set (go figure).

Sometime you can charge more for providing a sound system as opposed to using their sound system. I charge $50 extra for sound which is Cheap.

At some events there is no tipping so you charge more.

It's hard to figure out what folks will pay. Sometime the best paying gigs are weddings ($1,600) but on the other hand I once had someone expect to pay $200 for three of us to ride 100 miles each way and play the ceremony and reception. That would not have paid gas and meals and would have been a 10 hour day.

Some entities pay cash, others pay check and if reputable (city entity or retirement home) you may have to wait on the check and you get may 1099.

Ask around and find out what others make is a starting point.

Determine what your expenses will be (travel, parking fees, food cost for dinner/ lunch)

Determine the entire time you will be committed (travel time, set time, strike time) add that to the performance time.

If you supply the sound system, factor in wear and tear dollar amount (cables go bad, mics get dropped, stuff breaks).

If this is going to be a one time shot or a periodic gig let them know both prices.

That all being said, in my area, at a public library, that was within 10 miles and they supplied a sound system, I would do a duet for 1 hour for $50 -$75. $75-$100 if I have bring in sound.

I would do it that cheap because it is a public library and down here they don't have a lot of money and I would use it as a way to promote our band, our uke club and the ukulele in general. Basically you are doing it for expenses at that price.

I am curious what other folks do.

One thing to remember it is always easier to lower your price than raise it.

for history buffs, this ain't ancient persia.
focus on the day job rather than get insulted by what people think your time is worth.

This is hilarious.

One thing to note about a duo is that you need to charge appropriately "per musician". There are some venues in my town that pay $XX dollars "per musician per night" and it's assumed that you'll be playing 3 sets over 3 hours (because that is their live music advertisement). As a solo artist, it's easier to change your pricing. However, with a duo, they're paying for "rhythm + lead instruments" and "lead + harmony vocals", which are dynamics you can't normally get from a solo performer.

My suggestions:
1. Critique yourself realistically, how good are you? What would you pay to hire yourself?
2. Then, check your market. Call local bands/performers who are around your same skill level and ask them how much they charge to hire them. Just know that if you severely undercut your competition, you're really only hurting yourself in the long run.
3. Once you have this ball park idea and your hourly rate set, ask yourself if its worth doing a gig for that total amount to include expense for gas to/from your gig, the extra 1 hour to setup/break down

The best part about gigging, if you have all the equipment needed already, is it doesn't require much in expenses. Gas to/from your gig and some strings every couple of weeks. But, the overhead for equipment to get started is a big hump to get over.

It doesn't hurt to ask.
Call up Lake Oswego or West Linn Library and ask them what they pay for musicians.

I haven't been online much lately, but thanks for all your responses. Considering that it's a daytime concert at a library for kids and families and we don't need any amplification and that it's our first paying gig as a duo, we figured $50 dollars an hour for each of us. Kohanmike, I liked your suggestion and we may use that for future shows. Big Kahuna and Scooter, lol! Thanks again to everyone--very helpful insights!

Top Bottom