PDA

View Full Version : Very Noobish Question.

Kyle95
05-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Okay so I have seen this term used a lot but am still not fully sure what it means. What is UAS? :confused:

-Kyle

wickedwahine11
05-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. :)

vanflynn
05-13-2014, 10:22 AM
It's the source of many a discussion with my wife: "Why do you need so many of those ukuleles? you can only play one at a time."

I tried countering with the "so many shoes" rebuttal but then I didn't see her for two days. Once the swelling went down I could start seeing her out of my right eye :)

Still Water Weapons
05-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Horrendous disease for which there is no cure. Symptoms include the need to build an addition to the house (properly humidified, of course). Various Uke vendors on speed dial and drool on laptop when viewing custom uke websites.

Yukon Cornelius
05-13-2014, 11:59 AM
an over reaction to greed:)

OldePhart
05-13-2014, 02:00 PM
The previous replies have covered most of the bases, but I'll add my two bits.

There are actually two forms of UAS, and about a billion shades of distinction blending the two forms. Some UAS is kind of closely associated to the "hoarding" gene in which just the having of many things makes one feel good. In my opinion, this is unhealthy...but also probably fairly rare (and only unhealthy if one indulges to the point of endangering their financial security - there's nothing wrong with hoarding if you can afford it :) ).

The second form is, I believe, much more common and involves the search for "the perfect ukulele." Many beginners start with a very inadequate instrument and quickly discover its limitations. Most of them then proceed to take little baby steps to better and better ukes. Fortunately, I learned the rather painful lessons that "six $300 instruments are not as good as one $1800 instrument" years ago with guitars. (Hmmm, maybe not "fortunately" - it would have been cheaper to learn that particular lesson with ukes.)

Now...don't get me wrong...I'm not an instrument snob in spite of owning some very nice instruments. I'll tell the world one of my top three ukes is a Mainland mahogany soprano. My point is that once you have discovered you really like this magical little box called the ukulele and are absolutely going to stick with it, and then you realize that your current instrument is holding you back, don't think "I need a 'better' uke" - think "I need a good uke." Again, that doesn't have to be a custom or a $1k k-brand - but it makes absolutely zero sense to "upgrade" from a Dolphin to $150 mass produced laminated uke. Trust me, if you had the ear and the sense to realize when you hit the limitations of the Dolphin it will not be long before you begin to recognize the limitations of that next uke.

So, once you know you are going to stick with it...do your research and buy an instrument that you can play forever. It doesn't mean you won't fancy another uke now and again (there are, after all, tenors and sopranos and concerts and baritones and koa and mahogany and mango and 5-strings and banjoleles and...) :) But, it does mean that you won't be trying to get 50 cents on the dollar for your previous "dream" uke to afford the next.

Okay, I'm wearing my asbestos longjohns...fire away. LOL

John

Harry122
05-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Q: What is the right number of ukuleles to own?

A: Just one more.

ukemunga
05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
So, once you know you are going to stick with it...do your research and buy an instrument that you can play forever. It doesn't mean you won't fancy another uke now and again (there are, after all, tenors and sopranos and concerts and baritones and koa and mahogany and mango and 5-strings and banjoleles and...) :) But, it does mean that you won't be trying to get 50 cents on the dollar for your previous "dream" uke to afford the next.

John

I sure do agree with the concept but I've been on a trek to discover basics about what I really like. Mellow mahogany concert? Bright spruce top soprano? Tenor, soprano? Long neck soprano? Do I really want to spring for Koa right now?

So, I lose money on every one with my one in, one out policy but not a whole bunch. And I think everyone gets a good deal. When I think I really know I may spring up to a grand.

The question is, "Will I ever know?"