Ohana Concert CK-38... opinions?

mr79

Reaction score
Hey up,
Last year I was lucky enough, briefly, to own a Bruko Special mahogany concert, which (in a foolish fit of niceness) I basically gave away to a friend who was moving away... ever since then I've missed the size, so I'm looking for a new concert to play with. Things have gotten a bit Bruko-centric round here, so I'm actually considering another brand *gasp*

I had a brief go of a friend's SK38, the Ohana vintage finish soprano, and really liked it (I think he had Living Water strings on it) so I'm assuming it'd be a good bet... but I'm finding it really hard to find reviews or opinions on the concert model (loads for the soprano!), so I was just wondering if anyone on here has got one/had one and loved it/hated it... gimme yer strongest opinions!

Cheers

Hey up,
Last year I was lucky enough, briefly, to own a Bruko Special mahogany concert, which (in a foolish fit of niceness) I basically gave away to a friend who was moving away... ever since then I've missed the size, so I'm looking for a new concert to play with. Things have gotten a bit Bruko-centric round here, so I'm actually considering another brand *gasp*

I had a brief go of a friend's SK38, the Ohana vintage finish soprano, and really liked it (I think he had Living Water strings on it) so I'm assuming it'd be a good bet... but I'm finding it really hard to find reviews or opinions on the concert model (loads for the soprano!), so I was just wondering if anyone on here has got one/had one and loved it/hated it... gimme yer strongest opinions!

Cheers

Looks to me like its a Mainland. May be wrong?

I bought one a couple of months ago. The fit and finish were crude at best, and the tone was plinky. A lot of people love Ohana, and that model, so maybe I got a dud. It was returned that day. Buying online is my only option, but I don't enjoy it.

Hmm... I hadn't really considered Mainland before, as they're not readily available here in the UK. Searching the forums though I've just found Eagle Music stock them, so now I'm torn!

I have a different Ohana concert (cedar/rosewood) and love it. I also have an Ohana soprano (SK-28) and love that one as well. I've been very pleased.

I have a new Ohana koa, concert size. It's my fave now....love it!

The CK-38 sounds really good. It is a little more "open" sounding than the other mahoganies. Has a bit more volume. Mahoganies has a warm rich sound. The CK-38 still does, but it also has just a tad more volume, projection, and "roundedness" to the tone.

Man... tone is hard as heck to describe... and I use weird words sometimes when trying to describe it. But yeah, it is a great uke.

But the point is... great ukes. I like them a lot. As long as you don't mind the friction tuners and you like the vintage finish, for the price it is a winner.

It sounds like it'd be right up my street - I'm not really bothered either way by the 'vintage' finish, it's the ebony/premium mahogany/small waist that I like... although I do now found myself torn between the CK-38 and the Mainland Slotted Head Concert (the one with no rope binding). I'm not too keen on gloss finishes though, although it suits that particular uke. Aagh!

On a side note, I only realised this morning that 'reliced' is pronounced 'relick-ed'... I've spent the past few days wondering what 're-liced' meant, and what happened to the old lice...

The CK-38 is a great instrument. There is also an Ohana CK-25RT that has done as a limited series with 12 frets to the body and a different position of the bridge, very rich tone. Both have that vintage look and feature the ebony nut and saddle.

Top Bottom