LMI white glue no longer available

dustartist

Reaction score
LMI has discontinued their white instrument makers glue. They are offering something different now, it's yellow with a UV dye in it. Anybody used it yet?

I had the coagulating problem, which is why I was looking for some more. I talked to a rep at LMI and he said that the manufacturer changed the formula, which was the cause of the glue coagulating in the bottle. Apparently after some back and forth with the manufacturer they had to discontinue it due to the returns. They are sending me a bottle of the new stuff, I'll report back after I have used some of it.

Taylor guitars use this same (or very similar) UV glue. It will certainty help blind people with glue smudges.

The old stuff went off quicker due to recipe change. It still usable as an adhesive, but it really isn't as its to hard to spread.

I had Natalie (LMI CEO) tell me the other day that the new glue does NOT dry as hard as the old one. This is a big deal to me as I am an HHG guy, and did favor their glue for those places where HHG is impractical exactly because it dries crystalline. She also said it is NOT Titebond. Titeebond I works well enough.

Chris at LMI agreed to send me a replacement bottle of the new stuff because my old bottle coagulated. I'll give it a try, at least on the non-critical joints at first.

Their FAQ says it is NOT Titebond, and has been tested on hundreds of guitars.

At Mya-Moe we have been using the LMI white glue since the beginning. We typically bought a gallon every three months and liked it a lot. The last jug started to have problems so we contacted them and got the same excuse that everybody else did. We were a little upset that they didn't send out a "recall" notice to people, they just waited till you complained about it! The said it was still useable as an adhesive, but it just seemed too gooey and was difficult to spread.

We went out and got some tried and true titebond at the same time that LMI sent us the new formula. The new stuff seems fine but the entire saga reminded us that Titebond is easy to work with and dries hard. Yes, I know you can find research that shows it "creeps" too much. But, SO MANY instruments have been made from it that I am not worried about it.

Still not sure what we are going to go with from here on out, we don't like changing important things like glue brand without good reason. There are always un-intended consequences to the build process, we just want to make sure that it doesn't affect the final product!

Top Bottom