Nut Pegs

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I just saw the nut pegs on a boat paddle Uke, and I think they're a great idea. Has anyone used them? If so, what do you think? I had to have strings lowered on one (and maybe another) of my Ukes, but I didn't have a file (or the nerve). The pegs come out so one could maybe just sand the nut down a bit and stick 'em back in. Wadaya think?

I have no idea what a nut peg is.

http://bit.ly/1iO0UFE

:)

UkulelepinnednutbyBoatPaddleUkes-1.jpg

I have a boat paddle. they are awesome for many reasons. I don't think they come out. they are glued in. But.. Any size string works, and no binding up of strings either.

I played several Boat Paddles at the Mighty Mo Uke Fest last summer. They are among the best instruments I've ever played. Jerry does incorporate some pretty unconventional ideas in his instruments, including the hitch pins (my word for them). If I was in the market for a new custom ukulele, Boat Paddle would be my first choice, but I would insist on a conventional nut. When I would bend a string on a BP with the pins at the nut, and go in one direction, the string would glide along the "nut" and the string moved laterally enough to be really disconcerting. But bend that same string the other direction, it behaved pretty normally. Problem was, as you see in the photo posted by Big Kahuna, the pins aren't on the same side of the strings, (two on the left, two on the right). I rarely bend strings, but it would be too big a learning curve for me. I'm not that good.

Well, I'm not to the bending level yet (though I can do it), and I think the pegs are great (maybe). Buying all those files and picking the correct size to use then hoping that you didn't ruin your Uke is a pain. Of course one can have a shop lower his nut, but I like to do stuff myself. Anyway, so far, I think the pegs are a good idea.

I love the pins on my BP, but I don't do any deep bending. I do some light finger vibrato and haven't had any problem with them when doing that. What I like about them is it makes it very easy for me to try different strings if I wish without having to think about widening the nut slots for thick nylon strings (it comes with Worth clears, which are pretty narrow).

John

I just changed the strings on my Boat Paddle, and the nut popped right out. I switched out what were low G Seaguars and put on high G Fremont Blacklines. Intonation still sounds spot on.

Top Bottom