I'm starting a ukulele festival in Alabama

Ukejenny

Reaction score
Since we started the ukulele club in January, it has been a blast. There have been two other clubs spring up in the North Alabama area. I have been tossing around the idea of a uke fest for a while now, and finally bit the bullet. It was meant to be. A friend of mine was invited to a luncheon at a venue that will be perfect for the festival and it is free!

If you are in Alabama, Tennessee or NW Georgia, come and join us this September! https://www.facebook.com/alabamaukefest

AlabamaUkeFestEventBanner.jpg

OMG Jenny, that is on heckovan undertaking! Do you have people to help you? Do you have enough time to plan and impletment it?
Free? I wish I could come! Good luck, I know you'll have loads of fun.....and work hard!

Kudos! Great that you were able to put this festival together!

OMG Jenny, that is on heckovan undertaking! Do you have people to help you? Do you have enough time to plan and impletment it?
Free? I wish I could come! Good luck, I know you'll have loads of fun.....and work hard!

The first one will be very laid back...I hope! I have help and the other two uke clubs are in on it with me. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the music accessible to one and all. I have three and a half months to figure it all out.

Oh my goodness, that is wonderful. I replied with several questions and I will check out the information. You might be sick of me by the time this is over!

Ukejenny, I sent you a PM with some info that you may be helpful.

Good for you. I hope it all plays out well. I'd be happy to just get a local uke club going. There's a great one in Tampa but it's a bit of a haul and usually held on evenings that I work. I put out a local Craigslist ad and got 1 reply over the last month+. Not very promising.

Jenny,

While we haven't met, this sounds great - I'm interested myself!

I went to school just over the state line at Berry College in Rome and I remember the drive over the mountains and down through Fort Payne as some of the most beautiful roads I've ever driven. I've been looking for an excuse to get back up to see those mountains and lakes again.

I happen to know some potential entertainment for you in your area - depending on what you can do, there might even be a possibility to bring up some musicians from here in the New Orleans area.

I always thought about the possibility of a festival of sorts down here, but it's a lot of work, and I'm glad to see someone else in the (general) area taking it on. With that gorgeous location and the lack of such events in "the heart of Dixie", it could turn out to be more than you think.

Drop me an e-mail about the entertainment, and best of luck!

Last edited:
For good advice, check with the Tampa Bay Ukulele Club. They have been putting on some great ones over the years and Steve Boisen is a very active member of UU. http://www.tampabayukulele.com/

Sounds great, and Guntersville is just a short hop down I-65 from Nashville! :cool:

See you in September,
See you when the summer's through.

Good for you. I hope it all plays out well. I'd be happy to just get a local uke club going. There's a great one in Tampa but it's a bit of a haul and usually held on evenings that I work. I put out a local Craigslist ad and got 1 reply over the last month+. Not very promising.

I started my club with one friend who was willing to "try it". Then, I started taking my uke out to scout meetings and the like and put it into peoples hands every chance I got. Once they got their hands on it, they liked it. Some of the folks in our group were in high school band and were happy to find a musical outlet that was stress free. Others are friends of friends of friends who thought it would be cool to try. Starting out small is a good thing. Go for it! Get together with your one person and see where it goes from there.

Jenny,

I went to school just over the state line at Berry College in Rome and I remember the drive over the mountains and down through Fort Payne as some of the most beautiful roads I've ever driven. I've been looking for an excuse to get back up to see those mountains and lakes again.

I happen to know some potential entertainment for you in your area - depending on what you can do, there might even be a possibility to bring up some musicians from here in the New Orleans area.

I always thought about the possibility of a festival of sorts down here, but it's a lot of work, and I'm glad to see someone else in the (general) area taking it on. With that gorgeous location and the lack of such events in "the heart of Dixie", it could turn out to be more than you think.

Yes, yes, and yes!!! I sent you a PM, Dirk. I love this area of the Southeast as well - mountains, lakes, and not too far from the beach. Aside from the occasional tornado, it is purt'near paradise!

For good advice, check with the Tampa Bay Ukulele Club. They have been putting on some great ones over the years and Steve Boisen is a very active member of UU. http://www.tampabayukulele.com/
Thank you so much! I have a lot of sleuthing to do between now and September. I'm thankful to have all the help from UU and from friends in the clubs here in North Alabama.

Sounds great, and Guntersville is just a short hop down I-65 from Nashville! :cool:

See you in September,
See you when the summer's through.

Absolutely! We enjoy going to Nashville and Chattanooga. We traveled to Tennessee more often when we lived in Scottsboro, but we still love to get up that way. Hope you can come and join us!

Jenny,

You went to Berry?When? I didn't go there, but I lived and grew up in Rome. Lots of friends and family went to Berry.

The drive from Pensacola is not that bad. We have an active Uke group here. Several of us might come
Cliff

Kevin, I sent you a PM with some ideas that worked when I was forming a club. I did't want to highjack this post. I sent two of the same messages by accident so delete one so I don't junk up your mailbox. Hope you find it useful. Good luck.

Top Bottom