Differences between Kanile'a models

Uke-lahoma

Reaction score
What are the differences between the Kanile'a K family (K-1, etc) and the Kanile'a Exotics? Does Kanile'a put a different logo inlay on the different models? I noticed that the Exotics have a different logo than the K ukes.

Thanks!

The short answer is that the exotics are made with non standard woods and bindings and the K-1 are typically Koa with no binding. The logo has been changed because Kansas State University told Kanile'a that there logo was to close to theres and they changed it. The Exotics were made with one logo the K-1's have had all the logo's historic and current.

According to the descriptions of the eBay auctions for the Exotics, they're made to order by Kanile`a for a company calling themselves Exotic Ukuleles. They provide the wood and the specs, Joe builds them. I have one of the walnut tenors and love it...the build quality and sound is awesome, especially for the $600 I got it for. (Although FWIW I hate the logo!)

Last edited:
Interesting...the seller of the exotics has just doubled their BIN prices on eBay (but added a "Best Offer" option).

I noticed that too-- especially that the gorgeous maple one just doubled in price. :-( Oh well, it was out of my price range already, but now it definitely is.

Yeah, the prices of those ukes have gone up too much. Yesterday I ordered a Kanile'a K1 from MGM, and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival!

The short answer is that the exotics are made with non standard woods and bindings and the K-1 are typically Koa with no binding. The logo has been changed because Kansas State University told Kanile'a that there logo was to close to theres and they changed it. The Exotics were made with one logo the K-1's have had all the logo's historic and current.

Wow. I never knew that. Very cool info there. I like their new logo much more anyway.

I don't know about the others, but my walnut exotic has no bindings.

With the few that I have had, it is as follows.

K1 No Binding.
K2 Top Binding (Typically tortoise, black)
K3 Top and Back Binding (Typically tortoise, koa)
K4 Top and Back Binding with MOP Purling on Top (Typically wood)
K5 Top and Back Binding With MOP On Top and Bottom. (Typically ebony)
Exotic (I have only seen one with binding)
Custom (ALL OVER THE BOARD)

Top Bottom