Not sure if this will be worth the hassle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
These are about $300 street price new. I think they are a pretty cool lower end intermediate uke, especially with a pickup. So , worst case, if you had to trash all the electronics, you could probably buy a replacement pu from Kala , I'm thinking about $50, just a guess. or you could upgrade to a Baggs or MISI. the uke to me would be worth anywhere between $100-150 without the pickup, maybe $200 with working electronics, depending on the condition and how badly I wanted it. That's just me.
You might try unplugging the little jack that connects the pre anp to the undersaddle pu. I bought a used Kala once with [fried] electronics and that jack was making a bad connection!
and there should be a nut and washer hanging on the wire inside, shake the uke, do you hear something metal hitting the uke? that's what keeps the end jack tight.

End-pin jacks are very cheap... I've had my local guitar techs install generic endpin jacks on several ukes and guitars with no trouble.
Might require a bit of soldering.

The guaranteed fix is to buy the whole Shadow pre-amp and pickup unit and have it replaced..

why arent ukulele's serious instruments. That repair guy must just be awful, sorry it just bugged me that uku's aren't serious enough for this guy.

It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. But if I really thought the only way to get something was to trade for this uke, I would buy the Shadow (or another that fits) pickup/preamp unit and install it myself. I'm not familiar with the unit though, does the uke already have a big ole hole in the side for a preamp? Still, unless I felt like tinkering, I wouldn't put the time, money or trade into this one.

I have a uke with a loose endpin. It's pretty obvious that one of the wires to the pickup got disconnected. By messing around with it I got it to work but I've got to solder it to get it to stay. I'm sure the wire disconnected because the endpin jack was moving too much. I'm not at all adept at this kind of thing or any kind of expert but pulling out the endpin jack and looking at it it took me less than 5 minutes to figure out how to fix the problem. It might be a very simple fix for you.

soldering is not difficult.. If that's the problem, it may be cheaper to buy a soldering gun & solder, I'm sure there are vids out there to show exactly how it's done.

why arent ukulele's serious instruments. That repair guy must just be awful, sorry it just bugged me that uku's aren't serious enough for this guy.
Yeah, I know, lame. I went to a guitar shop to have a MiSi installed in my Pono and they guy was like, "I'm going to need to you pay for the work in advance, that is our policy when the work is more expensive than the instrument." I had heard really good things about the shop, so I held my tongue and agreed to pay whatever they needed.
After he opened the case and saw my Koa Tenor Pono with that lovely high gloss finish he said, "Nevermind. You're definitely coming back for this!"
I guess they have experience that people will drop off their cheap axes to get work done and then just abandon them because they can't afford it or whatever, and if the instrument is cheap the shop can't make its money back by selling it.
No complaints, the shop did an excellent job, but it is hard to fight that stigma sometimes. Oh, this was when I still lived in California. That would not happen here in Hawaii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom