Another Pre-owned Custom Moore Bettah Uke for Sale on eBay

I mean this as no disrespect to Mr. Moore but am I the only one who thinks this is getting a little ridiculous?

I mean this as no disrespect to Mr. Moore but am I the only one who thinks this is getting a little ridiculous?

Think about it. I buy a MB for a couple thousand because I can afford it. I don't really play a uke. Then I happen to see one selling for more than it was originally bought for. I then turn around and sell mine for a profit.

*Edit*
I just read the seller's response. In my above statement, I was assuming the original buyer wasn't a player. Regardless of my statement (which was just a response to the ridiculous comment) the uke is a piece of work that the owner can do whatever he/she wants to do with it.

Last edited:

I hear you. This upsets me. I want to eventually get one, and I won't be putting it up for sale. It would be very personal to me. This could easily be disenheartening to a builder. I currently have a custom CR and it won't be going anywhere either. Even though I paid for it. It was a gift to have the builder make such a great instrument for me. I am humbled by the luthiers who are at the top of their craft, and are willing to bless me with their skills.

It's gorgeous but he starts it at over what the Tree of Life uke went for? I watched that uke go off and go up $1K in seconds at the bell.

Ok, guys. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to respond to the above comments, but I'd just like to clarify my thinking and intentions, and put any other speculation to rest. The MB for sale, as nongdam kindly pointed out, is mine. I am listing it now as now seems an opportune time to capitalize on the very high demand for these instruments. I have several points I'd like to make clear, however.

First and foremost, is that I have the utmost respect for Chuck Moore, both as an artisan/craftsman, as well as a human being. I am not sure that I have ever dealt with a nicer, more compassionate person in my life. I have only had minimal dealings with Chuck, but I can honestly say that even in those few conversations, I was blown away by his good vibes and positive influence. With this potential sale, I mean absolutely no disrespect to Chuck, or his creations.

Also, I absolutely feel honored and privileged to have owned this instrument. It's incredible in every way. I've owned many fine instruments in the past, and none were the equal of this MB tenor. During my ownership, this uke has been played extensively, albeit gently. I mostly finger-pick, so I've kept strum marks to a minimum, and have always tried my best to keep it in top condition. In fact, I've been so obsessive about making sure it is well cared for, that I had the custom Ameritage case made for it (at over $400), it's always kept at proper humidity, and the only time it has ever left my house was when I moved to a new one last fall. Today, it still looks like it did the day I got it, but the sound has since opened up nicely. Please understand, this uke was not purchased as an investment at all. It was purchased because I love ukuleles, I wanted to try the best ukulele money can buy, and I had the seriously good fortune to have the opportunity to buy it.

Now, the reason(s) I decided to test the market.... Obviously, the recent two ebay auctions went shockingly high. I swore I'd never sell my MB, but that was when it was a $2000 ukulele. Now that it's become a $5000+ ukulele, I actually feel a little uncomfortable with it in my house. I've got 3.5 year old twin girls, and a 1 year old son in my house - that makes me even less comfortable with the MB. I've found myself leaving it stored more and more often just out of fear of the cyclone of destruction that my kids seem to generate. If anything happened to the MB, I'd feel awful about it. Additionally, since my family has grown, we'd like to finish some space in our basement to create an additional bedroom, and a small music room for me. To do this, I need to raise some cash. I've always loved and revered my Moore Bettah, but at the end of the day, it's still a material object. So, while on the one hand Chuck's ukes have gained a near religious following (and deservedly so!), I am trying to keep some perspective on what's most important in my life - my kids and family. I'm the only one in my house that loves ukuleles so much, and my severe UAS has sometimes been perceived as me putting my passion for ukes above my family, and I really never want to do that. When I think of how this kind of money could benefit my family, it starts to make more sense.

As far as my pricing goes, I did not list it at that price to anger anyone. I know it's an insane amount. I know that it is more than the "Tree of Life" went for a couple days ago. At the end of the day, it was more of a question of, "What will it take to convince me to sell it?" So, if anything, my pricing is a reflection of what value I place on this particular uke. It's not what I think it should be worth, it's not what I think Chuck should charge (although he really should raise his prices), and it's not what I would ever want to pay. However, there are many people out there who have a lot of money, and might be willing to pay it. Over the past year, when I had my list of ukes in my UU signature, I received numerous unsolicited offers to purchase my Moore Bettah. It actually was a little frustrating, because I would be trying to sell a different uke, and the only interest I would get would be for my Moore Bettah, which was not for sale. Because of that, I removed my signature.

So, there is my reasoning and qualifications/justifications. Even after all this, I am struggling with this sale, and am not sure I will go through with it. I started the listing last night, and actually lost sleep thinking about it. I'm trying to separate emotions from logic/business here, but it's tough. I have received one very respectable offer that I've yet to respond to, but I am considering it. I hope I don't come across as too defensive in this post. The bottom line here, is that I just want people to realize that I'm not just trying to flip a quick deal, or that I'm trying to pull some sort of scam. I genuinely love ukulele, and love to play ukulele, none more than this MB. I also love this community and don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. I just saw an opportunity and thought I would test it out. Life will go on whatever happens, and either I get to keep playing a Moore Bettah tenor, or someone else will get the chance to play it, and my kids won't have to share a bedroom anymore.

-Steve

I remember sending Chuck an email to purchase this uke when it shown up on his website.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-your-pics-here/page10&highlight=moore+bettah

Sorry you have to deal with this, Steve. It's a shame. Daniel is a rabble-rouser. He does this all the time, yet no one ever calls him on it; there's no point whatsoever to his post; except to publicly draw attention to you being the seller. I knew it was yours, too, before he dragged you into the thread and then scampered off laughing all the way. I don't see any reason why you should have to explain yourself here, but I understand and would've done same thing. You're a great member here, you try to help people all time, and I'm just really sorry you have to put up with this. Good luck with the sale! -- Matt

I don't understand the uproar over this. A person has every right to buy and sell things, without having to justify their actions or intentions to anybody else.

He bought the MB, and he can sell the MB, as he chooses....

Hey Steve,
I don't even know you (or much of this whole bs story), but I had to give you props for explaining yourself honestly, clearly, and intelligently. These are three qualities that are all too often missing in the interwebs. Forget what anyone else tells you, if you own something, you have every right to sell it at an opportune time, and any profits you might make is the glorious right of capitalism. I wonder if the same people would call you out if you owned stock shares for the same luthier's company, and sold them when you could realize a good profiit?? As far as I'm concerned, you selling the instrument (also a commodity, remember, at the end of the day) is no different than that. Kudos on making a smart financial decision for you and your family!!

Rant ended,
Jason

Last edited:
Matt & Jason,

Thanks for the compliments and support. I like Daniel just fine, and have had a good transaction with him in the past. I have no hard feelings, I just wanted to explain myself a bit. I admit that the reason I went to ebay, was hopefully to fly under the radar and avoid some of this, but I knew there was only a slim chance of it not getting pointed out on UU. In the end, this is my fault for not keeping my UAS under control, and Chuck's fault ;) for making some of the most sought after ukuleles in the world. I need to raise some cash, and my choices are to sell all my other ukes, or just this one. Virtually every uke sale I have ever made was for a loss, so this is a rare situation where demand is so high that I can turn the tables and pull myself closer to even. I'm not sure I'm making the right choice, but I'd be curious to know what others would do in this situation - #1. Keep the Moore Bettah, or #2. Keep the spruce/maple Collings UC3 (in my avatar), the walnut Collings UC2, and the adirondack/cocobolo Compass Rose micro jumbo tenor. Even if I sold all three in option #2, I would not be able to generate the funds that the Moore Bettah will bring. Of course, the best option is to keep all, and be better with my money in general.

-Steve

p.s. Although this is a tough decision, I am by no means deprived of nice ukes (as evidenced by option #2 described above), and I fully recognize and am thankful for being in a position to have tried so many nice ones. And, even if I sell the MB, I also got to play it for two years - a wonderful experience!. Too many beautiful ukes out there to try!

Last edited:
Not that you had to explain yourself, Steve, but that was eloquent and heartfelt. You are a man in conflict between reality and emotion. Good luck with the sale.

To lighten things up: One time when Chuck was selling his ukes by first response, I was right at the computer when the offering came in by e-mail. I didn't even bid on it because it wasn't exactly my taste! Who knew.:)

To lighten things up: One time when Chuck was selling his ukes by first response, I was right at the computer when the offering came in by e-mail. I didn't even bid on it because it wasn't exactly my taste! Who knew.:)

Yeah, the "Tree of Life" wasn't my taste, but it sure did well at resale!

-Steve

If I had a uke that tripled in value, damn straight it'd be on eBay unless it was an heirloom.

Well, debate is over. The Moore Bettah has sold. Just as I was about to flip flop on my decision! Both exciting and depressing at the same time - gotta stay focused!

-Steve

Last edited:
I am indeed a rabble-rouser or anything else someone wants to call me. :p

Since MBUs have such a following and a bunch of defenders, it's so much easier to come out and say why you're selling to limit the thread. There's several who PM me since I own MBU as well. People are trying to figure who the seller is and MBU owners are always saying they won't sell it. I tell them I don't have plans to but if I have financial needs, of course I would sell it.

I'm sure now that Steve has spoken, this thread will take a softer route. ;)

Daniel

P.S. Just saw your post Steve, congrats on the sale

I don't understand the uproar over this. A person has every right to buy and sell things, without having to justify their actions or intentions to anybody else.

He bought the MB, and he can sell the MB, as he chooses....

Exactly. Regardless if we think it's right or not.

Congrats Steve, and congrats to the lucky buyer!

You still have a wonderful collection of ukes, Steve. After you gave it much consideration, option #2 was definitely the best one for you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom