• Soprano

Votes: 42 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've gone through phases and I'm sure others have as well. When I first got into the uke and was making the transition from guitar to uke I found the tenor most comfortable to play. As time went on and I tried concert, soprano, and sopranino, I found soprano to be my go to size.

We all have preferences and they do tend to change. I also understand that I and many others play multiple size ukes depending on the application. I'm just curious to know what is your favorite size at the moment. What do you play the most, and when looking at new ukes, what size gets your heart beating?

Due to limited poll options, I can't include tenor necked sopranos, concert necked sopranos, etc. We'll have to stick with the basics on this one. And yes, you remain anonymous in this poll.

Last edited:
I play tenor and baritone. Baritones get my heart racing at the moment because I feel like I have all the tenors i'd ever want, and I like the deeper voice.

I'm surprised to see the tenor in such a lead right now. 1/8/0/1. I thought the concert would be in the front with all the references to it in recent posts I've read. Don't get me wrong, I love a good tenor. I was just expecting different results. But it's still quite early.

Started on a soprano when I didn't know about sizes. Very quickly went tenor (coming from almost 50 years of guitar). I'm hung up on tenor cutaways.

I'm primarily a concert player, although I have soprano through baritone at my house.

All but the baritone are re-entrant. Concerts in C and Bb, tenors in G, sopranos in D. Probably 80% of my play time is on a C concert, but I enjoy the challenge of playing different sizes/tunings.

My husband plays mainly dGBE tenors, but he swaps around some, too.

I waver back and forth between tenor and concert, but today I'm favoring the concert. Although I have at least one of each size I find about 90% of my time is spent with my concerts or tenors.

Tenor in low G.

I buy sopranos because I prefer that sound over the other sizes.

Couldn't vote, 'cause for me, it's tenor and soprano. I've been playing the tenors more these days, just because they're the ones most likely to get taken to jams. The tenors aren't really louder than my antique/vintage sopranos, but their modern, geared tuners keep 'em in tune much longer, plus one of 'em is low-G, and on those Saturday jams a high-G just won't cut it (much less a D-tuned soprano).

Even so, whenever I pick up a soprano, I wonder why any other size was invented. So ... I guess I'll sit on this nice fence for awhile.

I used to play tenors, thinking that they were manly.

Now I play sopranos, knowing that they are manly.

Soprano every time for me.I do own a couple of concert scale
ukes,and currently one tenor,but that is being gifted to a friend.

Concert is my favorite. Has the real uke sound, but gives my fat fingers a wee bit more room to operate. On the other hand, I just acquired a Baritone, and am loving it right now. But it sounds like a whole different instrument. Love its deep mellow tones, but it doesn't have the sunny sound of a Soprano or Concert Uke.

I have one concert and several tenors. I like the tenor scale length.

I voted tenor even though the one I have now is very beat up and not very playable - it's definitely my preferred size - looking forward to the day when I get a replacement...

The soprano is my favorite, I guess. I used to dislike tenors, but with a low G tuning, they are beautiful instruments indeed. I just found that out... Baritones are also wonderful, but if I have to pick one size, the soprano is my choice. (I have never played a concert size ukulele, so I can't say anything about them...)

I've always preferred the concert size. Maybe it's because my first uke was a concert. Maybe it's because I just feel too cramped on a soprano. I love my two tenors, but concert is still my favorite....

Top Bottom