Anyone played a Chennell Jazzbox?

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Am thinking of having a custom Jazzbox baritone made. He can make one that would accept steel strings tuned to linear G; like a short scale tenor guitar. jazzboxukes.com

Has anyone played one and what are thoughts on it.

I owned one for a while. It was an beautiful uke, both visually and sonically. The body caving work was amazing. Posted my first impressions.

But, I found the curved body, floating bridge, and tail piece string connection too different from most ukes. I had to adjust how I held and played it. My right arm usually wanted to go close to the tailpiece, and touching the tailpiece would move the strings and affect intonation.

It had brass frets, which seemed unusual, as they tarnish easy with play.
But they added to the unique character of this instrument.

Thanks Doc. I was thinking about the adjustment to holding it. My main interest was that it could be strung with steel strings, making it more of a short scale tenor guitar. Will wait til I hear from others or find out someone else makes a short scaled steel string bari.

Thanks Doc. I was thinking about the adjustment to holding it. My main interest was that it could be strung with steel strings, making it more of a short scale tenor guitar. Will wait til I hear from others or find out someone else makes a short scaled steel string bari.

I don't know how much Chennell Jazzbox ukuleles cost, but they're beautiful. If you want something a little more conventional in a steel string baritone ukulele, Rick Turner built me one last year.

Here's the thread I started about it.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91213-New-Ukes-Day!-Twin-Compass-Roses

And here's an extensive discussion about the extent to which a steel string baritone ukulele may or may not be similar to a tenor guitar.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94877-Octave-Ukulele

Last edited:
I remember the thread; it's what got me started looking for a ss bari. I think building the one I want would be around 1800. I'll contact Compass Rose and see what theyhave to say. Thanks for posting.

I guess you're set on steel string acoustic. You can get a steel string electric from Blue Star for about $350.

Thanks Jim, I want a ss bari more for the size configuration and the ability to play a low G tuned instrument again. I looked at tenors but think a bari would work better. I have a few electric guitars and an Alida already so would rather stay acoustic.

Sorry, I meant steel string electric baritone. Mine is going to be 19" which is really baritone scale in my book, but the standard bari is 22" so should be right up your alley for tenor guitar territory. But yeah, it's still electric.

Top Bottom