Lessons in San Diego

Moldybread

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area. Moderator, please move it as you see fit.

I've decided I need lessons; the in-person kind. Can anyone recommend someone in the San Diego, CA area,or point me in the direction of finding a good teacher for an adult with little musical background or ability?

Thank You!!!

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area. Moderator, please move it as you see fit.
I've decided I need lessons; the in-person kind. Can anyone recommend someone in the San Diego, CA area,or point me in the direction of finding a good teacher for an adult with little musical background or ability?

Thank You!!!

Check with a local music store. Most give lessons or at least can refer you to someone.

Last edited:
Craig Chee or Sarah Maisel...give private lessons...and they live in San Diego
they both have facebook and websites....

I would go with one of them for sure....if you really want to learn and have the time/money private lessons are the best way...IMO

Last edited:
San Diego has some of the most active uke groups in the country. I'm sure if you go to some you'll get good advice and leads for teachers.

I applaud you for wanting to find a one-on-one teacher, but you can learn a lot at group meets, as well as have a lot of fun. :) They're not exclusive of each other.

Craig Chee or Sarah Maisel...give private lessons...and they live in San Diego
they both have facebook and websites....

I would go with one of them for sure....if you really want to learn and have the time/money private lessons are the best way...IMO

Thank You! I found Mr. Chee's website and sent him an e-mail. If he's not available maybe he can recommend someone else.

Learning an instrument has always been something I've wanted to do before I die. And at 52, with no musical ability, I better start now, seriously, or forget about it!

Thanks again!

Thank You! I found Mr. Chee's website and sent him an e-mail. If he's not available maybe he can recommend someone else.

Learning an instrument has always been something I've wanted to do before I die. And at 52, with no musical ability, I better start now, seriously, or forget about it!

Thanks again!

go for it...I am a retired guy,and so happy to have discovered the uke late....but with private lessons I am progressing slowly but surely....
I know Craig and Sarah,have visited with them while they were at Craig's parents house on Oahu last Xmas...

they are very good people and I am sure will work hard with you to get you to become the best player you can be....
good luck with the lessons....

Sarah Maisel is an excellent teacher as well as a performer. Same can be said for Craig Chee a friend of my sone but I haven't had the pleasure to formally meet him yet. I do believe that both will be at the upcoming San Diego Ukulele Festival and will be conducting a couple of workshops. If you haven't purchased your tickets yet, do so, it would be a good time to meet with both of them. Hope to see you there.

Thank You!!!

I'm taking skype lessons with Craig Chee. He's fantastic and is helping me a lot. I took up the uke at 52 and started with no ability so if he can help me, he can help you.

Another vote for Sarah and Craig, both excellent musicians, teachers and wonderful people. You can't go wrong with either of them.

I may still sign up for UU plus. But I know myself. It is too easy for me to blow it off if I'm not somehow held accountable.

Congratulations Moldybread. I am studying with Sarah Maisel and making good progress in the direction I want to go. I only have two regrets: 1) that I have to take lessons by internet and not face to face; and 2) that I didn't start a couple of years ago.

BTW, I'm 62 and having a ball with my ukulele. I wish you the best as you learn.

The lesson was great! Coming from ZERO musical background (6 months of accordion 45 years ago does not count as experience) I really need lessons. Craig was wonderful: patient, kind and enthusiastic. I would definitely recommend in person lessons for someone like myself, especially if you start to get discouraged.
Thank you for the recommendation!

That is awesome. Yes Craig and Sarah are some of the nicest people and great teachers you'll ever meet.

Aloha!
Ivan

The lesson was great! Coming from ZERO musical background (6 months of accordion 45 years ago does not count as experience) I really need lessons. Craig was wonderful: patient, kind and enthusiastic. I would definitely recommend in person lessons for someone like myself, especially if you start to get discouraged.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Top Bottom