Kamaka HF-3D or HF-3LD

yehosaphat

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Anyone of you have the long neck version of the Kamaka deluxe tenors? What are the tonal difference between the HF-3D and the long neck versions?

Thanks in advance!

Nongdam (Daniel) has/had one, and he is a solid player, has had many ukuleles, and is a good judge of instruments.

PM him if he does not see your post, y. :)

Sorry, had the concert version of both. However, I'm a tenor player so I kept the long neck. Good luck

Thanks for the compliments Steve.

Thanks. Besides difference in scale length what tonal difference is there?

Sorry, had the concert version of both. However, I'm a tenor player so I kept the long neck. Good luck

Thanks for the compliments Steve.

Did you notice any tonal difference between the regular scale concert and the longneck concert?

I have the HF-3D, but haven't played the long neck version. So I can't really comment on the difference tonally between the two. But our old friend Music Guy Mic used to say that the longer scales would drive the soundboards more.

I have a long neck Litchy tenor uke. I love the long neck feel. I tend to play up the fret board. So it is a comfort thing. As for tone, not that much different from regular size tenor. Maybe a little louder.

I have a long neck Litchy tenor uke. I love the long neck feel. I tend to play up the fret board. So it is a comfort thing. As for tone, not that much different from regular size tenor. Maybe a little louder.

I agree that it's louder. Also, mine's a little brighter but that could be the difference in wood.

It would stand to reason that the long necks would be louder. Longer scale length = tighter strings = louder.

I have 2Ls and one 3L just not the "d"

the benefits of the 3 L are simple...longer neck...rarer instrument...most companies make a tenor model...few if any, other than Kamaka, have a longneck which is 2 inches longer than a regular tenor and one inch shorter than a baritone...more room...more collectible...the d means u pay for the inlay and the curly koa...but the really great thing is that it is made almost solely by Casey Kamaka...and from what I hear...his instruments are really great compared to standard Kamaka...which could be made by him...but might be made by others...this is not bad because their instruments are very consistent, imho! According to Andrew at HMS...nothing needs to be done to a Casey Kamaka instrument...which is similar to Collings...fine tuned and playable right out of the case...with no adjustments necessary save tuning of the strings!

Last edited:
ok it looks like its more a comfort and loudness difference...

Comfort is a preference...on how big your hands are and what you play....if you play four finger chords or stetched out chords..if may not be easier
As for loudness, scale could be a factor, but there are other reasons also...... try before you buy or ask them to play it for you over the phone...good Luck

Top Bottom