Strings Aquila Nylgut baritone DGBE - wound strings reversed?

Tenacious V

Reaction score
I just opened a new pack of these strings and the color code is red,blue,green,white. In this order I expected them to be increasing in thickness, but the thickest string is marked with green, and the one slightly thinner is white. So, according to their color coding the thickest wound string is the G? This doesn't seem right. For any of you with these strings on your uke or in a pack can you please check this out? Thanks.

I have a set of the 21U regular DGBE tuned ones unopened. I have one set on an old vintage Giannini bari and had no problems installing them as per the directions. 4=white. 3=green. 2=blue. 1=red.
Never noticed the thicknesses, but you're right according to Elderly: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ANB.htm
026 032 031w 027w
I think the wounds are made of different materials.

I put on a set of reds today. The B string kept changing tone. Incredibly weird. Had to put the old B string back on.

Different Metals for the Wound Strings, that's interesting the Wound G Might be aluminum & the D is silver. What I did rather cleverly is to tie Guitar string ball ends onto the ends of the strings (or Classical Guitar bridge beads) so that they would come over the saddle at a sharper angle which enhanced the sound.

I put on a set of reds today. The B string kept changing tone. Incredibly weird. Had to put the old B string back on.
You could've used bridge beads to anchor the strings so that they would sound more consistent.

Aquila nylgut DGBE strings are my standard strings, and I have noticed this.
I fit them as specified. I believe that its different metals. You should notice that the D string (white) is in a fully sealed bag, where as the G string is in an open bag, so I'm guessing that the D is silver wound.
The method to the madness I guess, is that it helps when fitting this low D string to an instrument that may be built for reentrant tuning in the first place.

Aquila nylgut DGBE strings are my standard strings, and I have noticed this.
I fit them as specified. I believe that its different metals. You should notice that the D string (white) is in a fully sealed bag, where as the G string is in an open bag, so I'm guessing that the D is silver wound.
The method to the madness I guess, is that it helps when fitting this low D string to an instrument that may be built for reentrant tuning in the first place.
So the D is Silver while the G is Aluminum. They've done an amazing job making it work.

Top Bottom