CA ukulele store

chuck in ny

Reaction score
finally getting out and about and going to my boy's wedding in santa cruz. plan to visit ukulele source in san jose and be finally able to play some K brands. just checked the ticket and i will be flying into san jose.
what are the best places in the area?

Last edited:
Don't miss Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. They are an amazing shop and always have a great selection of both new and vintage. You even can run into Compass Rose and Collings among Kamaka and others at Gryphon. Everything is out and you are welcome to try out their ukes there too.

Those two are great. Sylvan music in Santa Cruz too. It's a great area for uke stores.

You should also call Rick Turner's shop in Santa Cruz and see about stopping by for a tour... and prepare to salivate and whip your checkbook out while placing an order. (g)

Also check the dates for the Santa Cruz Ukulele Club's meetings, and the Sons of the Beach get together. (Neither of which I have been able to make, when I'm out in San Jose...)

-Kurt​

finally getting out and about and going to my boy's wedding in santa cruz. plan to visit ukulele source in san jose and be finally able to play some K brands. just checked the ticket and i will be flying into san jose.
what are the best places in the area?

Ukulele Source is like 5 minutes from the San Jose airport, so depending on when you land (or leave), you might want to swing by. Gryphon is about 25 minutes north of the airport in Palo Alto. Between these two shops, you can see just about every non-custom mid-to-high end maker except Ko'olau.

Ukulele Source- Kamaka, Kanilea, KoAloha, and Pepe Romero with a lot of imports (Mainland, Ohana, Nalu, Bill Tapia, etc.)
Gryphon- Kamaka, Compass rose, Collings, Maui Music, Martin, odds & ends (vintage, Graziano, etc.), also imports.

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz also has a good selection from high (Compass Rose, Kanile'a, Kamaka) to the mid to low-brands. If you head up to San Francisco, I hear Aloha Warehouse is a good place for ukes.

To see what is going on event/uke club/jam-wise, check out the San Jose Ukulele Club's Events and Calendar Page.

You should also call Rick Turner's shop in Santa Cruz...and prepare to salivate and whip your checkbook out while placing an order.

Why, has he started stocking Kala ukes?

Top Bottom