My 1st 'Proper' Uke! Bruko Custom Soprano

Vagrant

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks to everyone who chipped in on my Kiwaya or Mainland or (unexpected) Bruko thread - I know you all must get these questions a lot from us newbies, so really appreciated everyone's time and thoughts.

In the end money won out, and I went for the cheaper 2nd hand Bruko. I'm really pleased with it though! The guy said he hadn't played it at all, and it looks it. It even came with a special slimline hardcase, so for £80 I'm well pleased.

I see what was meant by them having their own sound though. At the minute I can only play a few bits (the riffs to 'Man Who Sold The World', 'Norwegian Wood', 'Egyptian Reggae', 'Smoke on the Water', and strumming Am, C, F, G, G7, Eb, A7 and D round and round in different patterns!), but everything comes out sounding like the soundtrack to 'Oh, Brother Where Art Thou' - a bit like I'm playing through an old bakelite 78 record!

I need to practice more, but very pleased to have a solid wood instrument after just a couple of months playing - the Kiwaya will have to wait till I have more pennies!

Here are some pics:

1-IMG_3095.jpg
2-IMG_3096.jpg
3-IMG_3097.jpg
4-IMG_3098.jpg
5-IMG_3100.jpg

Congratulations on your lovely Bruko! They are so special. I had to choose a soprano to take to a workshop this afternoon, and my Bruko walnut won. When it's time for a Kiwaya, you'll love it too.

Brüko's are immaculately made and
You got a wicked deal because that's way under what I would ask for it. Congrats! And don't worry, that Kiwaya and Mainland will inevitably follow...

Thanks all, I am really pleased with it - the more I've played with it this afternoon, the more pleased I've got. Ukuleles are like the opposite of everything else you buy in that way - usually you get this initial buzz that wanes as you find the... whatever it is doesn't quite match up to what's in your head. But so far I've found ukuleles get better the longer you have them!

Right, I'm off to practice (I wouldn't call the noise I make 'playing' just yet Captain!)

Congrats!

My Bruko gets more playing time than any other -- they're fantastic.

Wow, it looks untouched! And it is beautiful. I think you got an incredible deal. Good for you! Love the case as well.

Happy strumming!

It is lovely - I've been so surprised by the volume compared to my Mahalo. I thought with it being thinner it would be quieter but it's not, it's louder and... richer? I don't know how to describe it, there's just more sound there.

Not that it's made me a better player, there's still a huge gap between chords. But it has made me want to be better, to be good enough to get the best out of it. I understand now why well made ukuleles are attractive - they make you up your game!

Brukos are superb, you got it incredibly cheaply as well. Enjoy.

for £80 I'm well pleased.
Indeed, this was quite a bargain (to be honest: I'd consider it a gift rather than a bargain). The hard case alone sells for ~35₤...

Congratulations. Your new uke is pretty. I remember buying my first all-solid koa ukulele (a Big Island Honu tenor). it felt like I had graduated or something.

Top Bottom