Fender T Bucket Tenor

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Played the new Fender T bucker laminated tenor today at a local music store. HMS do a good review and Cory makes it sound pretty good. Its a nice uke with very functional tune and I assume electronic. I never plugged it in. The action was very good. I had the Aquilla strings which I am not a fan of. I would think Worth Clears, Salvarez or some fluorocarbon of some kind would make it sustain a bit more. IMHO, nice starter ukulele. Can't help but think, however , that at $299 USD$ and $329 CND that its a bit over priced. My Pono AT which I payed $349.00 is a much better Ukulele.. and of course solid wood.

My .02 cents worth after a half hour play at local store, then coming home and picking up my AT?

I've been looking at this uke for a couple of weeks and definitely feel it's overpriced. It should be no more than the Gretsch G9121 A.C.E. (solid mahogany top), which goes for $199.99 to $219.99.

u3Gretsch.jpg

Agreed Mike. Nice finish on it but my preference is always to see the wood. The Gretsch is solid top and the T Bucket is all laminate if I'm not mistaken. I think $199.00 is about right. Perhaps in time market will find this price. Being a all laminate ukulele and having just come back from a vacation, this might have been a good ukulele to take with me at $199.00.

I enjoy Gender guitars.

I wonder how many folks know the origin of the term "T Bucket". Or at least knew prior to resorting to Google...

Didn't find a history on Google, but I see that the 300CE full size guitar also sells for $299, what sense does that make charging the same for a ukulele.

Same amount of work to build, and the materials probably don't amount to more than $30 for either instrument.

Yes, funny how that goes. I've played a lot of laminate guitars and they can sound pretty good. Have not tried the T Bucket guitar yet. I thing the uke needs to be cheaper......to many good choices in that price range......Pono, Mainland, some Kala. Sales number will talk so I see price eventually coming down on the uke.

My tenor Ukulele

My spalted Mango Oscar Schmidt Tenor Ukulele. Love it and enjoy it. would recommend it for any beginner starting out. It is an acoustic/electric Ukulele :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20140302_160733758~2.jpg
    IMG_20140302_160733758~2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 13
Behold the original "T Bucket".

e7742410660564f37646a7b2f4890d44.jpg

A roadster based on a Ford Model T. Fender must be hoping for an older demographic.

depends on what you're preferences are. the Fender is fancy, and that has to add extra $. from Fender's ad team:
[h=2]More about T-Bucket™ Tenor Ukulele[/h] Combine Fender T-Bucket styling with a finely crafted tenor ukulele, and the result is one truly supercharged uke. It’s a special instrument—we’re talking a beautiful flame maple top, mahogany back and sides, aged white neck and body binding, T-Bucket pinstriped rosette and an elegant Three-color Sunburst gloss finish.

Other features include scalloped fan bracing, 17” scale, mahogany neck with a comfortable “U”-shaped profile and gloss finish, 19-fret rosewood fingerboard with bone nut, rosewood bridge with compensated bone saddle, and Fishman® Kula pickup/preamp system with built-in tuner and a mini-USB output that lets you plug straight into your smart phone, tablet or computer for easy recording.

My spalted Mango Oscar Schmidt Tenor Ukulele. Love it and enjoy it. would recommend it for any beginner starting out. It is an acoustic/electric Ukulele :cool:

Oooh that's very nice indeed.

Good point, strumsilly. There are several items which always kick up the price, like flamed anything, even if it's a laminate, which that & spalted generally do; and the USB port is cool.
If the electronics on the Gretsch are good, it should probably be about $30 more than the current price.
I'm happy to stay away from the amplified world, for now.

If the electronics on the Gretsch are good, it should probably be about $30 more than the current price. I'm happy to stay away from the amplified world, for now.

It has a Fishman Kula preamp system, pretty good over-all. All my ukes have preamps (some I added myself) so I can choose to amplify or not whenever I want.

Top Bottom