PDA

View Full Version : Fender T Bucket Tenor

M3Ukulele
05-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Played the new Fender T bucker laminated tenor today at a local music store. HMS do a good review and Cory makes it sound pretty good. Its a nice uke with very functional tune and I assume electronic. I never plugged it in. The action was very good. I had the Aquilla strings which I am not a fan of. I would think Worth Clears, Salvarez or some fluorocarbon of some kind would make it sustain a bit more. IMHO, nice starter ukulele. Can't help but think, however , that at $299 USD$ and $329 CND that its a bit over priced. My Pono AT which I payed $349.00 is a much better Ukulele.. and of course solid wood.

My .02 cents worth after a half hour play at local store, then coming home and picking up my AT?

kohanmike
05-17-2014, 03:50 PM
I've been looking at this uke for a couple of weeks and definitely feel it's overpriced. It should be no more than the Gretsch G9121 A.C.E. (solid mahogany top), which goes for $199.99 to $219.99.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/u3Gretsch.jpg

M3Ukulele
05-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Agreed Mike. Nice finish on it but my preference is always to see the wood. The Gretsch is solid top and the T Bucket is all laminate if I'm not mistaken. I think $199.00 is about right. Perhaps in time market will find this price. Being a all laminate ukulele and having just come back from a vacation, this might have been a good ukulele to take with me at $199.00.

coolkayaker1
05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
I enjoy Gender guitars.

bborzell
05-18-2014, 06:25 AM
I wonder how many folks know the origin of the term "T Bucket". Or at least knew prior to resorting to Google...

kohanmike
05-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Didn't find a history on Google, but I see that the 300CE full size guitar also sells for $299, what sense does that make charging the same for a ukulele.

The Big Kahuna
05-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Same amount of work to build, and the materials probably don't amount to more than $30 for either instrument.

M3Ukulele
05-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Yes, funny how that goes. I've played a lot of laminate guitars and they can sound pretty good. Have not tried the T Bucket guitar yet. I thing the uke needs to be cheaper......to many good choices in that price range......Pono, Mainland, some Kala. Sales number will talk so I see price eventually coming down on the uke.

ranger92308
05-18-2014, 11:54 AM
My spalted Mango Oscar Schmidt Tenor Ukulele. Love it and enjoy it. would recommend it for any beginner starting out. It is an acoustic/electric Ukulele :cool:

bborzell
05-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Behold the original "T Bucket".

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/e7742410660564f37646a7b2f4890d44.jpg

A roadster based on a Ford Model T. Fender must be hoping for an older demographic.

dickadcock
05-19-2014, 03:19 AM
I enjoy Gender guitars.

But that Fetsch seems overpriced.

strumsilly
05-19-2014, 04:35 AM
depends on what you're preferences are. the Fender is fancy, and that has to add extra $. from Fender's ad team:
More about T-Bucket™ Tenor Ukulele Combine Fender T-Bucket styling with a finely crafted tenor ukulele, and the result is one truly supercharged uke. It’s a special instrument—we’re talking a beautiful flame maple top, mahogany back and sides, aged white neck and body binding, T-Bucket pinstriped rosette and an elegant Three-color Sunburst gloss finish.

Other features include scalloped fan bracing, 17” scale, mahogany neck with a comfortable “U”-shaped profile and gloss finish, 19-fret rosewood fingerboard with bone nut, rosewood bridge with compensated bone saddle, and Fishman® Kula pickup/preamp system with built-in tuner and a mini-USB output that lets you plug straight into your smart phone, tablet or computer for easy recording.

RAB11
05-19-2014, 05:04 AM
My spalted Mango Oscar Schmidt Tenor Ukulele. Love it and enjoy it. would recommend it for any beginner starting out. It is an acoustic/electric Ukulele :cool:

Oooh that's very nice indeed.

dickadcock
05-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Good point, strumsilly. There are several items which always kick up the price, like flamed anything, even if it's a laminate, which that & spalted generally do; and the USB port is cool.
If the electronics on the Gretsch are good, it should probably be about $30 more than the current price.
I'm happy to stay away from the amplified world, for now.

kohanmike
05-19-2014, 08:16 AM
If the electronics on the Gretsch are good, it should probably be about $30 more than the current price. I'm happy to stay away from the amplified world, for now.

It has a Fishman Kula preamp system, pretty good over-all. All my ukes have preamps (some I added myself) so I can choose to amplify or not whenever I want.

The Big Kahuna
05-19-2014, 09:18 AM
If the USB output on the Fender uses ASIO drivers, and has no latency, it'll be great. If not...meh