What am I doing wrong??

Jade2013

Reaction score
I tried to change strings tonight, and have failed. Didn't even get one string changed, and now have a 3 stringed ukulele.

I started with the high g string. Removed it, put a knot in the end of the string, (that's the appropriate thing for this type of bridge), threaded the string through the tuning head, (is that the right word?), and started to tune it up. Each time I tried, all seemed to be going well, and just as the string got the correct pitch, the string popped out of the bridge. After several attempts, I have a dinged up hand and see a ding or 2 in the ukulele. Other than give up, and learn to play checkers instead of ukulele, any suggestions? I've watched endless videos of restringing ukuleles, and don't have any idea of what I'm doing wrong.

I had the correct size of strings, (concert), but a different brand. Do I have to only use the brand of string that came with it? (Aquila.) I was trying to restring with Living Water, based on the good comments I've seen here.

I was really, really enjoying ukulele until now. Grumble, grumble.

From what you've described, it sounds like you might be tying the bridge knot improperly and it slips out of the bridge when the string gets tight enough. Are you pulling on the knot right after you tie it to make sure it's secure? Does it look just like the other knots? Maybe if you posted photos of the knot that would help.

Sounds like you need a bigger knot. Here's a diagram from the Mya-Moe site:

ashley stopper knot.jpg

Take the end back through the loop as many times as you need. I often go through 4 times on thin strings.
Above all - don't give up! You are so close to a world of joy, don't let a slight technicality stop you.

and if you still fail, get some beads that fit in the small cavity in the bridge.

I agree with all prior posters.

Me too. :agree:

Thanks to everyone. I've decided that this is why UAS exists. If you buy a new ukulele, you don't need to change strings. LOL.

I'm not sure that the string I was fighting with last night is usable anymore. Could it be weakened by repeatedly trying to string it? I don't have another string handy, so I'm not sure if I can resume the battle today.

Interesting idea about using beads. Any suggestions on a source?

Thanks again.

Oh, oh. Took me longer than it should have to figure out how that figure 8 knot gets tied, (am I too old to become a scout and learn how to tie knots?), and now that I think I have it, the string is too short, because I cut off the end where I had mangled it from previous knot tying attempts.

I've watched endless videos on restringing ukuleles, but didn't see any that showed the figure 8 knot tying, and the process with restringing that way.

I don't have another string, and can't play ukulele anymore because I can't get the string on. I need words of encouragement. I haven't seen anyone be this dumb about trying to get a string on.

Put it down to experience, buy a new set of strings and start again. I had problems with my first string change and made the mistake of cutting them to length before I made sure I had the strings properly secured. I was lucky I got away with it but I was set to buy some more and start again.

I can empathize with your situation. Keep in mind that practice make perfect....I am in a similar situation. I've just commissioned a John S Kinnard Tenor; Cocobolo/Bearclaw Spruce with a Slotted Head. I don't have a slotted head ukulele in my collection and everything that I've read and viewed on YouTube, changing the strings looks a bit more challenging...haha Good luck

...I've decided that this is why UAS exists. If you buy a new ukulele, you don't need to change strings...

If you're really stuck and give up, cheaper than buying a new uke would be to take the one you have to a reputable guitar shop technician and have him restring it for you. I doubt you'd be charged much more than $10. Perhaps he'd let you observe and take notes for next time...

OK, more strings have been ordered, and I'll keep watching videos until then, and practice tying knots on the remains of the string that I was trying to use.

Can any damage be done by the string popping? Aside from whipping my hand, (have some marks on my hand from it), I wonder if it could damage the ukulele? Now I'm going to be afraid of my ukulele, LOL.

Good news is, changing strings will be easier after this. But I know that doesn't really help. :eek: I doubt the uke will be damaged from the string popping. What kind of uke is it?

One thing you could try if you haven't already. Take off another string and carefully observe how it's attached at the bridge. You don't seem to have trouble with the tuning peg attachment, and that's good. Checking the attachment of the old strings is how I learned to change them.

I hope your hand feels better, and try not to be afraid of your uke.

Look up the diameter of the string you broke and see if you can go get a bit of flourocarbon fishing leader line the same diameter as that string. Just make sure the leader is long enough. Don't get the stuff precut with the loop, just plain. Maybe call the store first. Been so long since I have been fishing I don't know what chain stores might carry some supplies other than Big 5 and Walmart.

maybe someone who uses low G can send her a their extra high G strings!

I have a slot bridge ukulele and now I'm going to be super worried when I try to change out the Aquillas that came on it. Yikes. I'll be tying the biggest, ugliest knot I can form.

Top Bottom