String Buzz and high action

WKerrigan

Reaction score
Still a novice here, so my understanding of ukulele mechanics is pretty basic. Forgive me if I've got the language wrong. I picked up a Mainland Mahogany Baritone a few days ago on craigslist, and am really enjoying learning how to play it. I have noticed some problems with string buzz when I'm really strumming it, and the action seems a bit on the high side. If I am really carefully to hold the strings down right behind the fret, I can usually keep the buzz under control. But it seems much less forgiving of finger placement than my other ukes. Is this something I can expect to go away as my technique improves, or should I have a pro look at it and see if the action can be lowered? Or am I even on the right track about the cause of the buzz? A luthier,lives across the street from me, though he's really a guitar guy. It has the standard Aquila Baritone Strings, two wound, two nylon.

Your neighbor can still advise you on setup issues like the string diameter/nut slot relationship, saddle height, if frets are level, etc. A buzz is a buzz, guitar or uke.

If the uke is set up higher than your oh her ones it may be harder to play. By that I mean that it will take more effort to hold the strings against the fret without them buzzing especially if you are not a strong player. Ask your buddy to check it out. After eliminating an errant fret buzz, have him lower the action as low as possible, without creating a buzz. For easiest playability, the action above the 12th fret should be no higher than .100". And before doing anything, make sure you've got the right strings on that ukes.

Still a novice here, so my understanding of ukulele mechanics is pretty basic. Forgive me if I've got the language wrong. I picked up a Mainland Mahogany Baritone a few days ago on craigslist, and am really enjoying learning how to play it. I have noticed some problems with string buzz when I'm really strumming it, and the action seems a bit on the high side. If I am really carefully to hold the strings down right behind the fret, I can usually keep the buzz under control. But it seems much less forgiving of finger placement than my other ukes. Is this something I can expect to go away as my technique improves, or should I have a pro look at it and see if the action can be lowered? Or am I even on the right track about the cause of the buzz? A luthier,lives across the street from me, though he's really a guitar guy. It has the standard Aquila Baritone Strings, two wound, two nylon.

I would take it to a proper shop to have it setup but show the person how you play when you take it in and then have them play it too.

Top Bottom