PDA

View Full Version : String Buzz and high action

WKerrigan
05-18-2014, 04:35 AM
Still a novice here, so my understanding of ukulele mechanics is pretty basic. Forgive me if I've got the language wrong. I picked up a Mainland Mahogany Baritone a few days ago on craigslist, and am really enjoying learning how to play it. I have noticed some problems with string buzz when I'm really strumming it, and the action seems a bit on the high side. If I am really carefully to hold the strings down right behind the fret, I can usually keep the buzz under control. But it seems much less forgiving of finger placement than my other ukes. Is this something I can expect to go away as my technique improves, or should I have a pro look at it and see if the action can be lowered? Or am I even on the right track about the cause of the buzz? A luthier,lives across the street from me, though he's really a guitar guy. It has the standard Aquila Baritone Strings, two wound, two nylon.

PhilUSAFRet
05-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Your neighbor can still advise you on setup issues like the string diameter/nut slot relationship, saddle height, if frets are level, etc. A buzz is a buzz, guitar or uke.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-18-2014, 07:05 AM
If the uke is set up higher than your oh her ones it may be harder to play. By that I mean that it will take more effort to hold the strings against the fret without them buzzing especially if you are not a strong player. Ask your buddy to check it out. After eliminating an errant fret buzz, have him lower the action as low as possible, without creating a buzz. For easiest playability, the action above the 12th fret should be no higher than .100". And before doing anything, make sure you've got the right strings on that ukes.

pixiepurls
05-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Still a novice here, so my understanding of ukulele mechanics is pretty basic. Forgive me if I've got the language wrong. I picked up a Mainland Mahogany Baritone a few days ago on craigslist, and am really enjoying learning how to play it. I have noticed some problems with string buzz when I'm really strumming it, and the action seems a bit on the high side. If I am really carefully to hold the strings down right behind the fret, I can usually keep the buzz under control. But it seems much less forgiving of finger placement than my other ukes. Is this something I can expect to go away as my technique improves, or should I have a pro look at it and see if the action can be lowered? Or am I even on the right track about the cause of the buzz? A luthier,lives across the street from me, though he's really a guitar guy. It has the standard Aquila Baritone Strings, two wound, two nylon.

I would take it to a proper shop to have it setup but show the person how you play when you take it in and then have them play it too.