PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier for all solid uke in UK?

DazW
05-18-2014, 03:36 AM
Sorry if this question has been asked and discussed a lot previously, I am a new member and just wanted a few opinions please.

Do many UK uke players use humidifiers at all and is there a real need for one in this climate? I keep my uke in a hard case and take good care of it but have never considered a humidifier

OldePhart
05-18-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm not in the UK but here's the bottom line - it's indoor humidity that counts (unless of course you are storing the uke in the attic or the garden shed :) ). So, even though it may be very humid outside, if the the furnace is running a lot or you have air conditioning that runs a lot in the summer, your humidity indoors may be in the low 30's or lower. I recommend putting a good hygrometer in the room where you keep your ukes. If it consistently reads in the high thirties or lower then I would use case humidifiers or a room humidifier during whatever seasons cause your indoor humidity to drop.

John

ukantor
05-18-2014, 08:38 AM
I've been a uke owner for about twenty years, living in the vicinity of Wolverhampton. I have never given any thought to using a humidifier, and my ukes have not deteriorated as a result. It does depend upon your living circumstances, of course, but most homes in the UK do not have a problem with dry atmosphere which needs to be modified for the sake of musical instruments.

DazW
05-18-2014, 10:21 AM
I've been a uke owner for about twenty years, living in the vicinity of Wolverhampton. I have never given any thought to using a humidifier, and my ukes have not deteriorated as a result. It does depend upon your living circumstances, of course, but most homes in the UK do not have a problem with dry atmosphere which needs to be modified for the sake of musical instruments.

Thanks for your reply. I noticed the humidifiers on the website of a uke store and as theyre not that expensive, I thought its a small price to pay for some peace of mind. I suppose its also a waste of money though if theyre really not necessary. Cheers

DazW
05-18-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm not in the UK but here's the bottom line - it's indoor humidity that counts (unless of course you are storing the uke in the attic or the garden shed :) ). So, even though it may be very humid outside, if the the furnace is running a lot or you have air conditioning that runs a lot in the summer, your humidity indoors may be in the low 30's or lower. I recommend putting a good hygrometer in the room where you keep your ukes. If it consistently reads in the high thirties or lower then I would use case humidifiers or a room humidifier during whatever seasons cause your indoor humidity to drop.

John

Thanks John that's very useful advice, cheers for taking the time to reply

ranger92308
05-18-2014, 10:28 AM
DOnt forget tio check out Miscellaneous and DIY
where Aldrine teaches how to make a homemade Humidifier.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/lessons/diy-humidifier/
:cool:

DazW
05-18-2014, 10:35 AM
DOnt forget tio check out Miscellaneous and DIY
where Aldrine teaches how to make a homemade Humidifier.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/lessons/diy-humidifier/
:cool:

Wow! it really is that simple. Thank you

BlackBearUkes
05-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Sorry if this question has been asked and discussed a lot previously, I am a new member and just wanted a few opinions please.

Do many UK uke players use humidifiers at all and is there a real need for one in this climate? I keep my uke in a hard case and take good care of it but have never considered a humidifier

You need to find out what the humidity levels are in your envirnoment before you do anything. Don't assume it to be too high or low. Get a decent room humidifier in the space the uke lives and then you can adjust the levels.

DazW
05-18-2014, 10:45 AM
You need to find out what the humidity levels are in your envirnoment before you do anything. Don't assume it to be too high or low. Get a decent room humidifier in the space the uke lives and then you can adjust the levels.

Will do, thanks for the advice