I have a moku and I put new strings on it.. AND THEN I BROKE IT!

pixiepurls

Reaction score
I have a sweet little Mahogany Moku, while I loved the way it felt I was irritated by the sound a bit, it was just not as sweet as my kala but only for particular strums so I decided to switch out the strings. I kept thinking it was the soprano size as I really didn't like any soprano's I played but I liked the feel of this one in my hand the best so I bought it because I needed a smaller one. So I put on D'addario titanium strings yesterday to see if it would help.

HUGE difference. I adore the sound of it now it was like instant HAPPY. Then I went to trim the strings at the headstock, and BOOM I snipped one of my happy new invisible strings and now I have a 3 string ukulele. ARGH!!! bet you thought I broke the whole ukulele, NO THANK GOODNESS. ARG!!! I did break the glass on my iPhone that same day though... so the strings seems fairly minimal compared to that but you know how frustrating it is to put new strings on, and then break a string.

I don't play well in the video the kids are making noise in the background but I did my best, and I honesty seem to play better on a tenor or baritone, more room I guess. I was very proud of putting the strings on so I made a video..

So now I have go to buy the strings AGAIN and will be going to buy TWO new packs of the strings this time. Lets hope I don't break anything else I like!

Last edited:
Sometimes, it's about the strings. Two valuable lessons learned. Nice full sound on that little sucker.

I like those strings, I've had them on a tenor and a baritone before, they feel nice too.

They make a Moku sound a lot better than Aquilas....

I like D'Addario strings as well. Great sound uke and nice finger roll you had going there!

I have a Moku tenor and I wasn't thrilled with the Aquilas on it either. I'm waiting on some of the exact same strings but not in low G. I'm hoping for a improvement in sound and feel. But even with the Aquilas the sound is sweet as is the build quality. Moku is doing some things right imo.

It's a relief to hear the uke is ok. :eek: I love low G but don't like the texture of those D'Addarios, but that's me. That's a big, I would call mellow, sound from a soprano though, really nice!

I broke a string recently too, didn't cut it, but it snapped on me. SO I feel your pain.

It's a relief to hear the uke is ok. :eek: I love low G but don't like the texture of those D'Addarios, but that's me. That's a big, I would call mellow, sound from a soprano though, really nice!

I broke a string recently too, didn't cut it, but it snapped on me. SO I feel your pain.

I don't notice the texture, funny enough. But then again I've not been playing super long I just know I am way picky about the sound. I like as mellow as possible but still very clear and bright. Sometimes the mellow ones get muddled. Sometimes the bright ones get prickly. When I play minor notes or chords my daughter says they sound "sparkly" cracks me up. Its like picking out a pair of shoes or a jacket I suppose, everyone has their own style. its very interesting!

Top Bottom