Season 118 Puppets and Parodies

bonesigh

Reaction score

Okay, okay! Yes, I was up very late last night. UU was down ): as you know. I've been working hard at home here because our basement flooded with the heavy rain we had a couple of days ago. What a mess!!

Anyway, here it is your new Season Challenge. Anyone who knows me knows I love puppets. Puppets that have moving mouths :) I must have about 30 of 'em! I would like you to post a video with your puppet playing the uke. I would like him/her to do a parody of a popular song. Something that is well known would be good, but not necessary. If your not comfortable with coming up with your own you may use someone else's. Delve into your inner child and get silly!!!!!

Rules:

I'm pretty loosey goosey on the rules so pretty much anything goes. Just don't get too liberal with the rules.

Here are some typical rules that tend to go week to week.

• The video should be a new video recorded for the week.

• Multitracking encouraged but not required.

• The video should say somewhere in the video that it is for the 118th Season of the Ukulele.

• Videos must be posted to this thread. Do not post any until midnight tonight Hawaii time.

• The contest ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, May 25th.

• 2 entry limit.

Post as many bonus video's as you like. Even if they are not new :)

Grand prize will be a window cling of your choice made by me. If you send me a simple design I will do that one. It can go on a uke or a window, car or whatever!

My family will choose one winner and there will be 2 drawn at random from a hat. Those 2 prizes to be determined.

Playlist http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyCDBKd_O5gCJ0K_e8OX_ZcXvP7ZhE7uf
Bonus http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyCDBKd_O5gCbyanZkaRVSyPguDKrKiXg
New playlist: "Parodies only, old or new to show to you :)"http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyCDBKd_O5gBZOiPkBq4XRT7Axsu-Fw7I

Last edited:
I KNEW IT!!! I just didn't want to tell you I knew it!!! :smileybounce:

Very fun and different kind of Season. Since I have not yet grown up I'll try to think of something. Thanks for doing this and stay dry downstairs!

I KNEW IT!!! I just didn't want to tell you I knew it!!! :smileybounce:

Nah, Nah, Nah, Na Nah, Nah.

My puppet doesn't play the uke. He does dance though, so maybe I can do a video of him dancing to a uking song.

Just had a thought, maybe he will play the uke after all - and dance! :eek:ld::cool::music:

wow. UBER challenging challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and janet i just wanna say hats off to you for hosting despite the flood thing in your basement

So- I don't have a puppet. I think I could muster a puppet show, a decidedly low-budget puppet show...but I would have to make something. Yay or neigh?

Yes, yes, yes! Make it up if you don't have anything! Here is a sample video I made today. Very poorly done but acceptable. I took things from around the house and spliced them together with the movie maker. I used a silicone pot holder some toilet paper and a doggie sweater :) You didn't think I'd let you have all the fun did you??

Tiptoe by Her Two Lips

[C] Tiptoe [A7] by the [F] widow [G7]
By the [C] widow [E7]
Or you’ll [F] be [Fm] married
Just [C] tiptoe [A7] by her [F] two lips [G7]
Ba [C] by [A7] [F] [G7]
[C] Tiptoe [A7] by that [F] wierdo [G7]
To [C] Colorado [E7]
Or you’ll [F] follow [Fm] me
For [C] me [C7]
[Dm7] I may be [Em] a ghost you [A7] see
[B7] Take my advice you’ll [Em] live happil [G7] y
And if you...
[C] See her [A7] ask her [F] warden [G7]
That night at [C] midnight [E7]
What she [F] did to [Fm] me?
Ba [C] by
For [C] me [C7] [F] [Fm] [C] [G7] [C] [G7] [C]

So- I don't have a puppet. I think I could muster a puppet show, a decidedly low-budget puppet show...but I would have to make something. Yay or neigh?
Its surprising what you can do using an old sock and some imagination !! :cool:

Last edited:
OK. Kookaburra Down Under.
My "Parody" has a back story - quite sad really.
Down Under was a huge hit for a group called Men At Work.
Greg Ham and Colin Hay were the main musos and composers.
After the song was out for many years the owners of the rites of the song Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum decided that the flute part was actually a direct take of that song and sued for 60% of the profits. The case was won by them but they were awarded 5% only. The lawyers did VERY WELL!
Greg Ham's friends claim that the whole saga contributed to the death of Greg (found in his house with no suspicious circumstances).
Judge for yourself by listening to both songs here - (just the flute solo remember)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZzm1C-NlME

Lyrics
I come from the land down under
Where everything is so funny
I sit in my tree laughing all day
But if you do my song I’ll make you pay

I am the kookaburra
I laugh all the way to the bank
Can you hear Can you hear me laughing
My lawyers helped me cash in

Men at work had a big hit with Down Under
But the flute played a tune a lot like my song
I got my lawyers to bring on litigation
And now I’m laughing and raking the cash in

Last edited:
Kookaburra Down Under. This is great Brain. I loved every bit of it! Smile on my face all the way to the bank. I didn't know all that about the song. Very sad. Yeah it sounds pretty much the same but then again many songs do and it really could have just been a coincidence. What do you think? This was a great way to wake up in the morning. You are a wonderful musician and singer and I always love your entries. How many times have you been the first video entry, your quick? :)

These lyrics are actually mostly written by our host for this season, I just adapted them to create this. It is of course based on All I want is you by U2. I thought of skipping this season because parody's and puppets aren't really my thing. Then I got this stop motion vid idea, and as the rules are really loosy goosy, I'm guessing this should be ok as an entry ;). I used a shaker egg while recording the initial uke and voice track. I then later added some bass extra vocal and mandolin. All instruments used also feature in the video (except for the shaker egg I guess, it was a white one).

Last edited:
I hope this qualifies. I'm not a puppeteer so no puppets from me. Here is a song with Puppets in the title. Its the Hideous "Puppets on a String". The Eurovision winner of 1967 (I doubt anyone in the States knows of the Eurovision Song contest. Its actually the biggest viewed non-sporting event in the world. Apparently (according to Wiki) even Sandie Shaw hated this song. It won hands down for the UK.
This is the ONE AND ONLY time I will sing this song on Ukulele.

There is a story behind the camping seat in my lounge but I won't bore you with that. lol.
And here for those of you interested is the original (even the mic problems at the start of the song didn't stop it winning the competition).

I hope this qualifies. I'm not a puppeteer so no puppets from me. Here is a song with Puppets in the title. Its the Hideous "Puppets on a String". The Eurovision winner of 1967 (I doubt anyone in the States knows of the Eurovision Song contest. Its actually the biggest viewed non-sporting event in the world. Apparently (according to Wiki) even Sandie Shaw hated this song. It won hands down for the UK.
This is the ONE AND ONLY time I will sing this song on Ukulele.

There is a story behind the camping seat in my lounge but I won't bore you with that. lol.
And here for those of you interested is the original (even the mic problems at the start of the song didn't stop it winning the competition).

One take? Brilliant Dave. Great to meet you at the weekend. Kicking myself we should have a jam and posted it in here. Next time maybe.

Very nice, pure and funny take.

Which Martin do you play? (Tried just both of the "cheap" mexicans at leleland.eu in Berlin and was impressed).

And how often did you say "one take"? ;)
Yep I play the cheap Martin S-1 and really love it. I'm saving my pennies because I'd really love a vintage Martin at some point. I've worn part of the wood out with my heavy handed strumming. I like to think of it as developing its own character but i've only had it since last August so better go a bit easier on it before it ends up looking like Willie Nelsons famous guitar.
I said "one take" ONCE. Oh and I think Krabbers may have turned me into a compulsive liar. ;-)

One take? Brilliant Dave. Great to meet you at the weekend. Kicking myself we should have a jam and posted it in here. Next time maybe.
Thanks Mike. Yes it was great to meet you too. I told you I'd steal the one take line didn't I? lol
Oh I really hope I can jam with you one day Mike. That would be very special for me.
I was hugely impressed by your set at the Nukefest. Your a top geezer and an inspiration sir.

Top Bottom