beginner tab question

Icelander53

Reaction score
OK so I know when there is a number on each string it's played as a strummed chord. And with two it's plucked. What about with three? Plucked or strummed?

For me, the answer would be "whatever's appropriate and sounds right", depending on what's just been played, what's coming next and which style I'm playing in. I'll strum or pluck two, three or four-string combinations as it suits the piece.
Except in "strictly classical" circles, there's probably no proper way to play these things. Part of making the tune your own performance, rather than just cloning what someone else has already done, is playing it as you like to hear it, not how someone else decides it should be done ;)
If you're playing in a group, there may be a need for a degree of conformity, but as a solo performer the world is your oyster!

There is another option to consider, in addition to plucking in unison, and strumming. You can do something that is in-between, by plucking the notes in a rolling fashion. If you pluck a chord with the index finger, followed quickly by the middle finger, and ring finger... you get another variable that can be applied when desired for expression. For four note chords start with the thumb. If you change-up your technique throughout the song, you will have more subtle tones of expression to choose from.

–Lori

Last edited:
Yes all the above is right. I just do what sounds right to me. Keep at it, this is a good way to play and makes a nice change from the usual dum dummy dum dum.

Lori wrote :
in addition to plucking in unison, and strumming. You can do something that is in-between, by plucking the notes in a rolling fashion.
, also, as I think of it, a "nail drag", where you effectively strum s-l-o-w-l-y, where all the notes in a chord-shape are plucked in quick succession, but just by the one finger (or thumb). I find this technique quite useful as a variation in some clawhammer (downpicking) tunes ... different strokes for different folks :)

Top Bottom