FM chord

Spud1$

Reaction score
I need fingering help for the FM chord. I've been using my pinky on the A string and pointer and middle on g and E. I can't get a clean chord and my ring finger doesn't reach the A string correctly either. Is there a trick?
Thanks for any suggestions

Just practice I guess. Thats the fingering i use, but i agree it is an awkward one. Try rotating your hand to see if that helps get your fingers in the proper fretting position. How is your nut action? If too high, that would make it harder to get two clean 1st fret notes.

Just practice I guess. Thats the fingering i use, but i agree it is an awkward one. Try rotating your hand to see if that helps get your fingers in the proper fretting position. How is your nut action? If too high, that would make it harder to get two clean 1st fret notes.
I'm pretty sure my nut action is good I'm also pretty sure its my dexterity that's the issue, however rotating looks like it might work down the road, I just have to remember to do it so I can get it right on the first try and with the right timing. Thanks

I agree, and I use the same fingering. Also, make sure you're fretting with your fingertips instead of the pads. Finger pads tend to buzz or mute other strings. And you may already be doing this, but try playing the chord as an arpeggio, with individual notes. That will help determine where the trouble is, so you can work from there. Other than that, it's about practicing and developing muscle memory.

I hope that helps.

My first exposure to Fm was in Beyond the Reef where it is preceded by F major and I developed the habit of just pivoting on my index finger (E string first fret) and placing my middle finger on the G string (first fret) and placing my pinkie on A string (third fret).

In a word - practice.

I always struggled with it but then decided to fret the G string first fret with my thumb, then E string first fret with my index and the A string third fret with my second or third finger.

Love how it sounds straight after Fmaj.

I use the same as you but use my ring finger on the second fret as well as the pinky on the third fret.this helps me.
Graham

It may or may not work in the context of the song you are playing, but as an alternative you can play Fm by moving the Em chord up one fret. 5543 or X543.

Going to have to strengthen that pinky finger sooner or later. May as well be now. A little practice and it will work fine.

Fm is a good chord for pinky exercise. I found it awkward as well, but not any more, until I practiced walking my pinky from fret 2 to 5 on the tenor. Up and down the fret board, playing to make sure your fingertips are well placed. It strengthens & stretches, & makes you feel more comfortable in doing the Fm shape. (I go up to 4 on Bari and 6 on concert)
Soon you can add 1 finger for Fm7 (1313), and that can slide up for F#m7, since all strings are covered.
Enjoy.

If you're playing the chord with your index, middle, and pinky, maybe try putting your fretting thumb under the first fret and pushing all your fingers (thumb included) on the neck? Idk xD

I had the same trouble. On most of my ukes I ended playing it with my thumb fretting the G string. That really opens it up and makes it faster and cleaner for me at this point. Then I use my ring or pinky finger on the A string. It's not the the only way I play it but I do that most of the time.

Well I got out my Grandaughters little dolphin and sure enough I can make the chord just fine so..... I need to excersice and stretch that pinky for my tenor. Thanks for all the help!

Some great advice here. I will add that many people, especially when they are starting out on stringed instruments, tend to have the fingerboard canted back, usually so that they may more easily look at their fretting hand. This sets up the wrist at an awkward angle and makes things much more difficult. I also find that most folks also are fretting with more pressure than they really need, which can cause fatigue. I will re-iterate about making sure to use the finger tips, suggest trying to relax a bit and only use enough pressure to get a clean note (this takes lots of practice too!) but try to get the fingerboard straight up and down,with your wrist below. It may feel strange at first, and yes it is more difficult to see your fingers, but you are supposed to be looking at your music, not your fingers, right? :D
Good luck!

A good exercise Laura is 1012 with the ring finger on second fret A string and using your pinkie on the third fret while keeping ring finger on the second fret
then lift on and off with the pinkie on the third fret...to build strength and dexterity...when you have built strength and dexterity, lift your ring finger off the second fret..
let me know how it goes for ya :)
Of course you can use 1012 as a passing chord too to fill in......

Last edited:
A good exercise Laura is 1012 with the ring finger on second fret A string and using your pinkie on the third fret while keeping ring finger on the second fret
then lift on and off with the pinkie on the third fret...to build strength and dexterity...when you have built strength and dexterity, lift your ring finger off the second fret..
let me know how it goes for ya :)
Of course you can use 1012 as a passing chord too to fill in......
Thank you, I've found that a simple exercise done over and over works really well for me, I'll try this

Some great advice here. I will add that many people, especially when they are starting out on stringed instruments, tend to have the fingerboard canted back, usually so that they may more easily look at their fretting hand. This sets up the wrist at an awkward angle and makes things much more difficult. I also find that most folks also are fretting with more pressure than they really need, which can cause fatigue. I will re-iterate about making sure to use the finger tips, suggest trying to relax a bit and only use enough pressure to get a clean note (this takes lots of practice too!) but try to get the fingerboard straight up and down,with your wrist below. It may feel strange at first, and yes it is more difficult to see your fingers, but you are supposed to be looking at your music, not your fingers, right? :D
Good luck!
I just checked and sure enough I do hold my uke canted back, a word I didn't know before tonight. There are so many little tricks and this forum is so great about sharing them. I've never had a teacher because where I live is pretty remote. I can't imagine what I would do without the internet and this forum. Thanks for taking the time.

A good set up and lower action on the nut makes this chord simpler...also bending your wrist at about 22 degrees and keeping your elbows away from your body and ribs helps to for some....this also takes time to master as it is an akward position.....

Last edited:
Mostly it's in how you arch your fingers. Make a claw: fingers need the arch, the curl. Don't flatten them.

Newcomers might find a stress ball helps develop muscle strength but mostly practice will work.

Top Bottom